Chambers County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Chambers County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Chambers County Courthouse
Anahuac, TX 77514
County Clerk has birth records from 1903, death records from 1908,
marriage, probate court and land records from 1875 and divorce records
The first permanent settlement began in 1821 when the Spanish established a fortress at Anahuac and allowed American colonists to enter.
The county was named for Thomas Jefferson Chambers, (1802-1865), a lawyer and land speculator, was born in Orange County, Virginia, on April 13, 1802, the youngest of twenty children of Thomas Chambers and the ninth of his second wife, Mary (Gore).
See an interactive map of Chambers County border changes.
1875--Chambers County Courthouse in Wallisville and most, if not all, county records were destroyed by fire on December 2, 1875.
1935--Chambers County Courthouse in Anahuac destroyed by fire on April 28, 1935. All records were saved. 
Places / Localities
Anahuac | Baytown (mostly in Harris County) | Beach City | Cove | Hankamer | Monroe City | Mont Belview | Oak Island | Old River-Winfree | Seabreeze | Smith Point | Stowell | Turtle Bayou | Wallisville | Winnie
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Chambers County Cemetery List from the Chambers County TXGenWeb site
- Anachuac Cemetery - USGenWeb Archives Project.
- Chambers County Cemeteries - Interment.net
- Chambers County Cemetery Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- FindAGrave - transcriptions and photographs of Chambers County cemeteries
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
1840 Cove Census - TXGenWeb
Petition of Settlers - TXGenWeb
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The Family History Library Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Chambers County, Texas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Chambers County Families - index of names - TXGenWeb
- Chambers County: A Pictorial History, 1988 by Margaret S. Henson and Kevin Ladd.
- Chambers County History from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Chambers County Bibliography - TXGenWeb
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- Republic of Texas Militia 1842 - TXGenWeb
- Chambers County in the Confederancy - TXGenWeb
- Confederate Pension Applications Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Confederate Indigent Families - USGenWeb Archives Project
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Chambers County, Texas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas. Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
- Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
- Chambers County Marriages - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Chambers County Divorces - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Chambers County Births - USGenWeb Archives Project
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Chambers County TXGenWeb site
- TXGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chambers County, Texas. Page 660 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ GenDisasters.com - Anahuac, TX Chambers County Courthouse Fire, Apr 1935 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/18201/anahuac-tx-chambers-county-courthouse-fire-apr-1935
- This page was last modified on 8 May 2013, at 00:43.
- This page has been accessed 1,645 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More