Chandler Horse Guards Squadron, Michigan CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Chandler Horse Guards Squadron was organized by William C. Hughs of Berrien County the Guards were mustered into the federal service on August 9, 1861 at White Pigeon, Michigan. After 3 months of service they were ordered mustered out as they did not conform to Federal regulations. They were re-equipped and ordered to be re-mustered in and the enlisted men declined; consequently the troops were disbanded. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Michigan Adjutant General, and George H. Turner. Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 Vol. 43. Kalamazoo, Mich: Ihling Bros. & Everard, printers, 1900. FHL Fiche 915048. Worldcat.
- Seeking Michigan website. Muster Rolls and Payroll for Chandler Horse Guards Squadron. (Accessed Aug 31, 2011)
- ↑ Michigan Civil War Website,  Michigan in the civil War 1861-1865 Presented by Don Harvey (accessed 2 March 2011).
- This page was last modified on 20 March 2014, at 15:31.
- This page has been accessed 1,233 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki