Charleston District, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Not to be confused with the small Charleston (1785-1791) County abolished in 1791.
- Not to be confused with Charleston County 1800-present. From 1800 to 1868 that Charleston County was also known by the alias of Charleston District.
Originally Charles Town District, spelling officially changed to Charleston District in 1785.
In 1785 six subordinate counties were formed within the overarching Charleston District:
In 1800, South Carolina abolished overarching administrative court districts like Charleston District, and switched to the county-only concept. An all new Charleston County was created in 1800. However they called their counties, districts until 1868, after the Civil War. 
For documents of people who lived in this area from 1768 to 1800, look in:
- Christ Church Parish records since 1706
- St. Andrew's Parish records since 1706
- St. Bartholomew's Parish records since 1706
- St. James Goose Creek Parish records since 1706
- St. James Santee Parish records since 1706
- St. Paul's Parish records since 1706
- St. Philip's Parish records since 1706
- St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish records since 1706
- St. John's Berkeley Parish records since 1708
- St. George Parish records since 1717
- St. John's Colleton Parish records since 1730
- St. Michael's Parish records since 1751
- St. Stephen's Parish records since 1754
- papers filed in the early capital at Charleston, South Carolina.
"Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the My South Carolina Genealogy website. The maps rely on AniMap 3.0 software.
See also Berkeley County Genealogy
- ↑ "The Counties from 1664 to Present - In Alphabetical Order" in South Carolina - The Counties at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sc_counties_alphabetical_order.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- ↑ "A History of Charleston District" in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/Charleston_district_sc.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- ↑ Lewis, J.D., Camden District, South Carolina, http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/camden_district_sc.html : 2007
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 7 May 2011).
- This page was last modified on 23 May 2011, at 19:56.
- This page has been accessed 1,145 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More