Charlton by Dover, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Charlton by Dover, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Charlton by Dover, Kent|
|Poor Law Union||Dover PLU|
|Parish registers: 1690|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
CHARLTON (St. Peter And St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Dovor, partly in the hundred of Bewsborough, but chiefly within the liberty of the cinqueport of Dovor (of which it is a member), lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 1 mile (N. N. E.) from Dovor. 
Charlton by Dover is an Ancient Parish; originally Charlton was a Saxon Manor and a chapel was built around 1160 when the list of rectors shows Odo son of Richard Moryn as rector.
In 1827 the small chapel was found to be insufficient and it was expanded. Further growth in population of workers for the Dover Western Docks meant that Charlton and Tower Hamlets needed a larger church and this was dedicated as St Peter and St Paul on 19 April 1893. Within two years the older nearby church had been demolished.A map of the parish boundary of St Peter and St Paul is available at A church near you
The Church of St Peter and St Paul has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building
The Ancient Parish is described in Edward Hasted The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 470-475. at British History Online
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Charlton by Dover, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FREL = FamilyRelatives - (£)|
|KOPC = Kent Online Parish Clerks - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Charlton by Dover, Kent Online Parish Records|
Charlton by Dover St Bartholomew parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Charlton by Dover St Bartholomew Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306860.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 549-554. Date accessed: 15 July 2013.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, (WayBack Machine) accessed 13 March 2012.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- ↑ Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:28.
- This page has been accessed 9,197 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More