Chatham, MassachusettsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
English settlers first settled in Chatham in 1665, and the town was incorporated in 1712, naming it after Chatham, Kent, England. Located at the "elbow" of Cape Cod, the community became a shipping, fishing, and whaling center. Chatham's early prosperity would leave it with a considerable number of 18th century buildings, whose charm helped it develop into a popular summer resort.
Establishment and former town name(s)
Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].
11 June 1712: Established by St 1712, c.34, formerly a village or district of Manamoit. (Prov. Laws Vol. XX1, p. 806)
Manamoit Village, Monamoiet, Monomoy, Weguasset
Section/Villages within the town: Chatham Port, Mill Pond Bluff, Monomoy Island, Neck, North Chatham, Old Harbor, South Chatham, West Chatham
Wikipedia: Chatham, Massachusetts
14 April 1862:
11 May 1995: Town charter adopted
Baptist Cemetery (1766)
Old Queen Anne Rd
Bassett Family Cemetery aka Cockle Cove Road Cemetery (1847)
Cockle Cove Rd and Songbird Lane
Bethel Cemetery (1780)
Rte 28, Main St.
near East Harwich town line
Eldredge Family Cemetery (1818)
Mill Creek Rd
Eldredge Family Cemetery (1826)
Rte 28, off Bay View Rd
David Eldredge Cemetery (1840)
31 Juniper Lane
Eldredge and Bassett Cemetery (1845)
Doctor Lord Grave (1766)
in front of 252 Training Field Rd
Crowell and Depot Rds, in front of Seaside Cemetery
Seth Nickerson-Burgess Cemetery (1832)
off Barcliff Ave
William Nickerson Cemetery (1689)
4 Ryders Cove, off Cod Lane
Old North Queen Anne Cemetery (1742)
Queen Anne and George Ryders Rds, across from Old South Cemetery
Old South Queen Anne Cemetery (1718)
Queen Anne and Geororge Ryders Rds, across from Old North Cemetery
Peoples Cemetery aka Universalist Cemetery (1786)
Crowell and Stepping Stones Rd
Ryder, Doane, Berry, Smiths Cemetery (1766) aka Small Pox Burying Ground
off Old Corners Rd, located in the woods
Sailors Cemetery (1846)
Main St., next to the Lighthouse
The gravestones of over forty unknown shipwrecked sailors
Seaside Cemetery (1811)
Crowell and Depot Rds, behind Methodist Cemetery
Union Cemetery (1800)
Rte 28 and Heritage Lane, behind the Congregational Cemetery
Centennial celebrations, etc.
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Politics and government
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- This page was last modified on 6 November 2012, at 20:37.
- This page has been accessed 2,102 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page