Cheltenham St Peter, Gloucestershire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Cheltenham St Peter, Gloucestershire|
|Poor Law Union||Cheltenham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1830|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
CHELTENHAM (St. Mary), a borough, markettown, and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Cheltenham, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 9 miles (E. N. E.) from Gloucester, and 95 (W. N. W.) from London. The church of the Holy Trinity, in Portland-street, a handsome structure in the later English style, was erected by subscription, but finished by Lord Sherborne, and was consecrated in 1823.St. Paul's church, an edifice of the Grecian-Ionic order, with a portico and tower, was completed in 1831. This, also, is a chapel of ease to the parent church. St. James' church, Suffolksquare, St. John's, Berkeley-street, and Christ-Church, Lansdowne, were erected under what is called the Forty Years' act, 5 George IV. Another church, St. Peter's, on the Tewkesbury road, was commenced in 1847. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, the Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon, Independents, Wesleyan and other Methodists, and Roman Catholics. 
The parish of St. Peter’s was created in 1845 and the building of St. Peter’s Church begun in 1848 at the cost of about £5,000. It was consecrated on 23 March 1849.
It was built to the design of Samuel Whitfield Daukes, architect who is also responsible for the railway station at Lansdown and Francis Close Hall in St. Paul’s. Daukes was born in London in 1811 and trained under J. P. Pritchett of York where he met a fellow pupil John Middleton, whom he later invited to Cheltenham. Middleton then became Cheltenham’s most famous church architect, creating buildings such as St. Mark’s Church, Holy Apostles Church in Charlton Kings and St. Philip and St. James in The Park.
The building of St. Peter’s is an edifice in the Norman style with a 90 feet high round tower rising from an octagonal lower stage and finishing with a conical roof and vane. The font is, in form, a copy of that in Lincoln Cathedral, and consists of a square bowl resting on a central pier.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288767.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 562-569. Date accessed: 22 July 2013.
- ↑ http://www.cheltenham4u.co.uk/stpeters_church.asp?area=St.+Peter's%2C+Tewkesbury+Road
Contributor: Add any additional sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 20:50.
- This page has been accessed 1,736 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More