Cherokee County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Cherokee County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Cherokee County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Cherokee County Courthouse|
110 W. Maple Street
Columbus, Kansas 66725-0014
Cherokee County Courthouse
110 W. Maple
Columbus, KS 66725
Formerly McGee Co. Name changed to Cherokee 18 Feb 1860
Register of Deeds has land records from 1866,
Probate Court has probate records from 1870.
County Clerk has birth, marriage and death records. 
1855--Cherokee County was created 30 August 1855 from unorganized territory. County seat: Columbus 
- Craig County, Oklahoma
- Jasper County, Missouri
- Newton County, Missouri
- Ottawa County, Oklahoma
- Map of Cherokee County townships (Histopolis)
- Map of 1887 Cherokee County with townships (My Genealogy Hound)
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Cherokee County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Kansas
- Cherokee County was organized after the Civil War.
Men from this County enlisted in 1st Infantry Regiment, Company A.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Joplin, Missouri newspapers and Neosho, Missouri newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Cherokee County communities.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cherokee County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Biographies from The History of Cherokee County, Kansas (1883) published by A. T. Andreas are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherokee County, Kansas 249 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August, 2012)
- This page was last modified on 6 May 2013, at 22:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,332 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More