Cherokee County, North CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cherokee County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cherokee County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Cherokee County Courthouse
Murphy North Carolina 28906
Clerk Superior Court has divorce records,
Registrar of Deeds has land records
Proud, resourceful people -- many descended from the Cherokee Indians who once lived in the region now known as Cherokee County -- welcome visitors to share their peaceful spot in the Blue Ridge Mountains, if only for a little while. It is no wonder why the Cherokees made the area their home or why they hid in the mountains when the Indian removal took place in 1838.
Hundreds of waterfalls and creeks, forests filled with wildflowers and tall pines wrapped in mountain breezes invite strangers to stay awhile and enjoy one of Mother Nature's finest creations.
Descendants of hearty Scottish and English settlers who married fine young Indian maidens carry on traditions from generations past. Descendants who never lived in Cherokee County venture back "home" to find their roots. Murphy, the county seat, offers a wealth of history at its courthouse, library and the Cherokee County Historical Museum which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Travelers passing through the small communities surrounding the town of Murphy such as Hanging Dog, Culberson and Grape Creek may want to stay and experience the warmth of the people at the spring festival or the Christmas parade in Murphy or the fall festival at the John C. Campbell Folk School in nearby Brasstown.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1865, 1895, 1926--Courthouse fires have destroyed many court records.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Fannin County, Georgia
- Monroe County, Tennessee
- Polk County, Tennessee
- Union County, Georgia
For tips on accessing Cherokee County, North Carolina census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company A
:- 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
- 1869-1934 - Will Books A to B (1869-1934) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Cherokee County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- NCGenWeb Cherokee County - many records of all kinds for the County
- Western NC Genealogy Resource Center - Census, Marriage, Birth & Death records, Cemetery,Military, and various other kinds of records for Cherokee County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherokee County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 17 December 2014, at 17:42.
- This page has been accessed 11,495 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page