Cherry County, NebraskaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Cherry County, Nebraska genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Cherry County, Nebraska|
Location in the state of Nebraska
| Map of the U.S. highlighting Nebraska|
Location of Nebraska in the U.S.
|Founded||February 23, 1883|
|Address|| Cherry County Courthouse|
365 N. Main Street
Valentine, Nebraska 69201-0120
Cherry County Courthouse
365 N Main Street PO Box 120
Valentine, Ne 69201
County Clerk has marriage and land records.
County Court has probate and court records.
Clerk District Court has divorce records. 
1883--Cherry County was created 23 February 1883 from unorganized territory. County seat: Valentine 
- Bennett County, South Dakota
- Blaine, Nebraska
- Brown, Nebraska
- Grant, Nebraska
- Hooker, Nebraska
- Keya Paha, Nebraska
- Shannon County, South Dakota
- Sheridan, Nebraska
- Thomas, Nebraska
- Todd County, South Dakota
- Tripp County, South Dakota
For tips on accessing Cherry County, Nebraska census records online, see: Nebraska Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Nebraska denominations, view the Nebraska Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Nebraska Land and Property for additional information about early Nebraska land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Cherry County, Nebraska. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Nebraska Local Histories.
- Publication from the Economic Development Department with several nice color photos of the area is available at: COMMUNITY FACTS OF VALENTINE, NEBRASKA
- Here is the link to the local library for a catalog and contact information to the local library that contains history of the area: Valentine Public Library. Marianne Beel has done a nice job on several Sandhill area local histories such as "Sand in my Shoes: Four decades of sandhill stories and history" found at the Valentine Public library: .
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cherry County, Nebraska newspapers in online catalogs like:
The Valentine Midland News is the primary newspaper in the area. Information on this newspaper can be found at: Nebraska Press Association
Also, back issues of prior newspapers that have been microfilmed are available; index found at: NebraskaHistory.Org
In most counties in Nebraska, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Nebraska - Adams - Probate records.
Nebraska tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherry County, Nebraska page 429, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Nebraska-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 7 October 2013, at 22:07.
- This page has been accessed 3,478 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More