Chesham, Buckinghamshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Chesham, Buckinghamshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Amersham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1575|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Lincoln; Post-1844 - Oxford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Buckingham|
|Location of Archive|
|Buckinghamshire Record Office|
CHESHAM (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union of Amersham, hundred of Burnham, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N.) from Amersham, and 29 (N. W. by W.) from London; comprising the hamlets of Asheridge, Ashley-Green, Bellingdon, Botley, Charteridge, Hundridge, Latimer, and Waterside. There are four places of worship for dissenters, two of which are for Baptists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Chesham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|CHESHAM PARISH Online Records|
- General Baptist
- General Baptist New Connexion
- Particular Baptist
- Primitive Methodist
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Strict Baptist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241213.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Buckinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Chesham on GENUKI
- ↑ From: Samuel A. Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 569-576. Date accessed and adapted 28 May 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Buckinghamshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 28 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Buckinghamshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 27 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Buckinghamshire Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 29 July 2015, at 08:50.
- This page has been accessed 3,845 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News