Chickasaw Indian Agency (Oklahoma)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Chickasaw Indian Agency is a currently operating agency. Its supervising field office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs is the Muskogee Area Office.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Chickasaw Agency was established in Indian Territory in 1839 for the Chickasaw who had moved from Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee. By 1842, the agency buildings were located at Fort Washita. In 1856, the Chickasaw Indians were assigned to the Choctaw Agency and the old Chickasaw Agency was discontinued.
Sometime in the 20th Century, the Chickasaw Agency was re-established and is a currently operating agency.
Agents and Appointment Dates
Gaines P. Kingsbury June 11, 1837, A. M. M. Upshaw March 4, 1839, Gabriel W. Long November 6, 1849. Kenton Harper June 30, 1851, Andrew Jackson Smith September 1, 1852
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Chickasaw Agency, 1824-1870, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, Rolls 135-148. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1660865-1660878).
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 40-41
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy 234, p. 8
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 16 September 2011, at 07:43.
- This page has been accessed 1,004 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki