Chile SocietiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
There are many societies and organizations that may have information of value to your genealogical research. There are a few such societies in Chile and in the country your ancestor immigrated to or emigrated from, especially the United States. You may find it helpful to join one of these societies and support their efforts.
There are few genealogical societies that emphasize Latin American research. Most societies publish periodicals, transcripts, and compiled genealogies; and may have special indexes, collections, and projects that can help you locate your ancestors. Some may publish inquiries about Hispanic ancestors, if requested, or maintain a list of members’ research interests. Some specialize in the immigrants to a specific area.
The following societies may be of interest:
- Hispanic Genalogical Society
P. O. Box 231271
Houston, TX 77223-1271
- Society of Hispanic Historical and Ancestral Research
P. O. Box 490
Midway City, CA 92655
- Spanish American Genealogical Association
P.O. Box 794
Corpus Christi, TX 78403-0794
- The Hispanic Genealogical Society of New York
Murray Hill Station
P.O. Box 818
New York, NY 10156-0602
The Family History Library has the following book published by a genealogical society in Chile:
- Reyes Reyes, Rafael. El Instituto Chileno de Investigaciones Genealógicas: crónica de un cuarto de siglo. Santiago, Chile: Revista de Estudios Históricos, 1973. (FHL book 983 D25r v. 18.)
Historical societies can provide valuable information. They often collect information about immigrants, and some may have information about specific nationalities. Many societies have special collections of books and manuscript materials that may be difficult to find in libraries and archives. You may be interested in the services, activities, and collections of the following:
- Instituto Chileno de Investigaciones Genealógicas
Calle Londres 65, 3er piso
- Sociedad Chilena de Historia y Geografía
- Academia Chilena de la Historia
The addresses of over 100 ethnic heritage historical societies in North America are given in:
- Smith, Betty P. Directory, Historical Societies and Agencies in the United States and Canada. 13 ed. Nashville: American Association for State and Local History, 1986. (FHL book Ref 970 H24d.)
Locating Records at the Family History Library
Records of these societies are usually described in the "Author/Title" section of the FamilySearch Catalog under the name of the society. They are also listed in the "Locality" section of the FamilySearch Catalog under one of the following:
CHILE - SOCIETIES
CHILE, [PROVINCE] - SOCIETIES
CHILE - GENEALOGY
CHILE, [PROVINCE] - GENEALOGY
Some records gathered by societies are listed in the "Locality" section of the FamilySearch Catalog under the type of record. For example, cemetery transcripts gathered by a local genealogical society are listed in the FamilySearch Catalog under:
CHILE, [PROVINCE] - CEMETERIES
Lists and guides that describe the collections of societies are listed in the "Locality" section of the Family History Library
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:29.
- This page has been accessed 1,223 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki