Chippewa County, MichiganEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Chippewa County Michigan genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Chippewa County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||February 1, 1827|
|County Seat||Sault Sainte Marie|
|Address|| Chippewa County Courthouse|
319 Court St.
Sault Sainte Marie, MI 49783
Phone: (906) 635-6300
Chippewa County Website
County Clerk has birth records from 1869, marriage records from 1868,
death records from 1870, divorce records from 1891 and court records.
Probate Court has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
- City: Sault Ste. Marie
- Village: De Tour Village
- Townships: Bay Mills . Bruce . Chippewa . Dafter . Detour . Drummond . Hulbert . Kinross . Pickford . Raber . Rudyard . Soo . Sugar Island . Superior . Trout Lake . Whitefish
- Communities: Barbeau . Bay Mills . Bay Mills Indian Community . Brimley . Dafter . Drummond . Keldon . Kincheloe . Paradise . Pickford . Rudyard . Stirlingville
Civil War service men from Chippewa County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Chippewa County.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
- Chippewa County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 219
Trout Lake, MI 49793-0219 Biographies, births and deaths, Census records, Naturalizations, Obituaries, Voters lists for 1870 and Sugar Island, and a surname list.
- Chippewa County Historical Society
P. O. Box 342
Sault Ste. Marie 49783 PHONE: (906) 635-7082
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org The Society was established in 1919 and is dedicated to the preservation and promotion of local history through exhibits, research, and publication. The office houses permanent and rotating exhibits and a small research library. Call or email ahead for hours or an appointment.
- Pickford Area Historical Society
P. O. Box 572
Pickford, MI 49744 PHONE: (906) 647-2045 There is some family history, oral histories and archives available for people doing research.
- DeTour Passage Historical Museum
P. O. Box 111
De Tour, MI 49725 PHONE: (906) 297-3404 The museum features displays relating to early marine operations, social and governmental activities, pioneer families, Native American history, churches, schools, business and life in the early years of the DeTour area.
- Drummond Island Historical Society
P. O. Box 293
Drummond Island, MI 49726 PHONE: (906) 493-5746 A museum on the early settlers of Drummond Island, Native American history, Fort Drummond history and lumbering. There are some genealogy resources but very limited.
- LAKE SUPERIOR STATE UNIVERSITY
Kenneth J. Shouldice Library
906 Ryan Avenue
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783 PHONE: (906) 635-2815 Special Collections areas are open for research by appointment, Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM. MICHIGAN COLLECTION
This collection documents Michigan from Indian occupation to the present with emphasis on the tri-county area of the Eastern Upper Peninsula. Included are documents and publications by Henry Rowe Schoolcraft and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, pictures and photographs, information about Fort Brady, and a vertical file. MARINE COLLECTION
This collection consists of printed materials on the history of water transportation on the Great Lakes and material on individual vessels, including pictures, photographs, maps and vertical file. THE OCHSNER COLLECTION
The collection includes books on archeology and cultural history as well as an extensive collection of Native American, European and African artifacts. GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH
Some helpful resources are available. A bibliography is available from the Reference Desk.
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Chippewa County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chippewa County, Michigan page 344, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2013, at 21:48.
- This page has been accessed 2,846 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More