Chipping Norton, OxfordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Chipping Norton PLU|
|Registration District||Chipping Norton|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1669|
|Rural Deanery||Chipping Norton|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford|
|Location of Archive|
|Oxfordshire Record Office|
NORTON, CHIPPING (St. Mary), an incorporated market-town, a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, 19 miles (N. W.) from Oxford, and 74 (N. W. by W.) from London. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Chipping Norton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FAMR = Family Relatives - (£)|
|FSBOOK = FamilySearch Books - free|
|GOOG = Google Books - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|OFHS = Oxfordshire Family History Society - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|CHIPPING NORTON PARISH Online Records|
|GOOG||1563-1647, 1652-1686||1560-1646, 1653-1657||1572-1630|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474573.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Oxfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 442-446. Date accessed: 17 September 2012.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county', Origins.net (Wayback Machine), accessed 21 January 2014.
- ↑ W.P.W. Phillimore, Oxfordshire Parish Registers, Volume 1 (London: Phillimore and Co., 1907). Digitised by Family Relatives - (£).
- ↑ W.P.W. Phillimore, Oxfordshire Parish Registers, Volume 1 (London: Phillimore and Co., 1907). Digitised by FamilySearch Books - free.
- ↑ T. Phillipps, Chipping-Norton Register (1825). Digitised by Google Books - free.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Oxford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 January 2014.
- ↑ 'OFHS Parish Records Date Finder,', Oxfordshire Family History Society, accessed 24 January 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 05:24.
- This page has been accessed 1,963 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki