Chisago County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Chisago County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Chisago County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 31, 1851|
|County Seat||Center City|
|Address|| Chisago County Courthouse|
313 North Main Street
Center City, MN 55012
Chisago County Website
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1852, court records from 1880 and divorce records; Probate Judge has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records.
- County seat: Center City 
- For a brief history of how Chisago County was named, click here, then select Chisago County.
For animated maps illustrating Minnesota County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Minnesota County Boundary Maps" (1849-1960) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Amador Township | Chisago Lake Township | Fish Lake Township | Franconia Township | Lent Township | Nessel Township | Rushseba Township | Shafer Township | Sunrise Township | Wyoming Township
Almelund | Franconia | Palmdale | Rush Point | Stark | Sunrise
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Chisago – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Chisago County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Chisago County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Chisago County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company M.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Chisago County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- North Branch Minnesota Family History Center
- Chisago County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Chisago County
- Chisago County, MN History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Chisago County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chisago County, Minnesota page 363, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:53.
- This page has been accessed 6,192 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki