Chittenden County, Vermont GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Chittenden County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Chittenden County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||October 22, 1789|
|Address|| Chittenden County Courthouse|
175 Main Street, Burlington, VT 05401-8310
Chittenden County Website
County CourthouseTown clerks have birth, marriage, death, burial, probate and land records; County clerk has divorce records from 1829 and court records from 1798
Towns Organized Before 1800:
St. George 1763,
Created 22 October 1787 from the Colonial lands. 
- 5 November 1792, Franklin County set off.
- 1 November 1810, Jefferson County set off (renamed Washington County 8 November 1814.)
- 26 October 1835, Lamoille County set off.
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
Towns and Cities
- Buel's Gore
Archives and Libraries
Church History and Records
Military History and Records
Regiments and Companies:
- - 2nd Regiment, Vermont Infantry
- - 5th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies I and K
- - 13th Regiment, Vermont Infantry
Probate files or packets for Chittenden County are now digitized and available at http://labs.familysearch.org/.
See also How to order Vermont Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Vermont <a title="Vermont Birth Certificate Application" href="http://www.healthvermont.gov/research/records/birth_form.aspx" target="_blank">Birth Certificate</a>, <a title="Vermont Marriage Certificate Application" href="http://www.healthvermont.gov/research/records/marriage_form.aspx" target="_blank">Marriage Certificate</a>, <a title="Vermont Divorce Certificate Application" href="http://www.healthvermont.gov/research/records/divorce_form.aspx" target="_blank">Divorce Certificate</a>, <a title="Vermont Death Certificate Application" href="http://www.healthvermont.gov/research/records/deathcert_form.aspx" target="_blank">Death Certificate</a> Applications to mail.
Societies,Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Chittenden County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Chittenden County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project backup site
- Chittenden County Genealogy (Vermont Genealogy)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 698. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 395. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- ↑ Leclerc, 394.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:58.
- This page has been accessed 13,642 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News