Cimarron Indian Agency (New Mexico)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Jicarilla Apache, Moache Ute
The Cimarron Agency was established in 1862 with responsibility for the Moache Ute and the Jicarilla Apache in northwestern New Mexico. Its forerunner was the Abiquiu Agency and the Utah Agency. The Cimarron Agency was consolidated with the Pueblo Agency in 1876 and the agency was discontinued, but a farmer in charge was assigned to the Abiquiu Agency, and the Jicarilla Apaches assigned to that agency, which was renamed the to the Jicarilla Agency in 1881. The supervision of the Jicarilla Agency was transferred to the Mescalero Agency in southern New Mexico in 1882.
Agents and Appointment Date
Levi J. Keithly 1862, Manuel S. Salazar 1865, Erasmus B. Dennison 1866, Lt. A.S. B. Keyes 1869, Maj. W. P. Wilson 1870, Charles E. Roedel 1870, Alexander G. Irvine 1974 and John E. Pyle 1875 
Many of the historical records of this agency are housed in the National Archivs Rocky Mountain Region (Denver), Colorado. They are listed under the title of "Cimarron and Abiquiu (Jicarilla) Indian Agencies, NM". Most of the records in that collection are administrative and financial, rather than records of individual Indians.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 112.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, pp. 147-148.
- ↑ The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- ↑ Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 17 January 2013, at 01:08.
- This page has been accessed 1,360 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki