Citrus County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Citrus County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Citrus County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||June 2, 1887|
111 W Main Street
Iverness, FL 34450
Office of Historical Resources has marriage records 1887-1945, Cemetery, probate, land and court records from 1887 and military
discharge records 1919-1969; County Health Department has birth and death records
1887--Citrus County created 2 June 1887 from the northern most part of Hernando County. The original county seat was Mannfield and it was not ever intended to be the permanent county seat. About 16 months later, the citizens decided to make the town of Inverness the county seat as it was centrally located within the county. Ironically, the Mannfield Town clerk suddenly moved the records in the middle of the night a few days before the scheduled move was to take place.
Currently all that is left of Mannfield is the rubble of a few house foundations and a small cemetery.
County seat: Inverness 
Places / Localities
- Crystal River
- Inverness (county seat)
- Beverly Hills
- Black Diamond
- Citrus Hills
- Citrus Springs
- Floral City
- Homosassa Springs
- Inverness Highlands North
- Inverness Highlands South
- Oak Hill
- Pine Ridge
- Pleassant Grove
- Red Level
- Sugarmill Woods
- Mannfield (original county seat, now a ghost town)
- Stage Pond (Cemetery still remains)
- Fairmount (town site is now Meadowcrest Industrial Park)
Citrus County Cemeteries at Citrus County FLGenWeb
- Stage Pond Cemetery, Floral City BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Citrus County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Citrus County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Citrus County, Florida (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Citrus County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Citrus County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Citrus County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1887-1917 - Citrus County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1887-1917. Batch M736771 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1917-1939 - Citrus County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1917-1939. Batch M736768 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Citrus County FLGenWeb Project; a member of The FLGenWeb Project, an affiliate of the USGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project
- [https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results#count=20&query=%2Bsubject%3AFlorida%2C+Citrus Family History Library Catalog]
- Citrus County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Citrus County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Citrus County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
|This Florida-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 19 August 2013, at 23:56.
- This page has been accessed 4,645 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More