Clark County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Clark County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clark County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 6, 1792|
Clark County Kentucky Courthouse
34 S Main Street Rm 103
Winchester, KY 40391-2600
Clark County Kentucky History
Clark County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Becknerville||Forest Grove||Mina||Sewell Shop|
|Bel Air||Goffs Corner||Mount Zion||Stoner Creek Settlement (hist.)|
|Bloomingdale||Hampton Manor||Old Pine Grove||Tebbs|
|Bon Haven||Hedges||Pilot View||Trapp|
|Charleston (hist.)||Hunt||Pine Grove||Wesleyan Park|
|Dunaway Station (hist.)||Locust Grove||Rightangle|
|Elkin||Log Lick||Rockwell Village (hist.)|
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Clark Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Clark County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Clark County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Clark County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
For tips on accessing Clark County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
| *USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930|
| The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project |
| *Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project |
| *Census Online ~ Census Online|
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Hall] Hayden, Richard A. "Early Hall Family Pioneers of Frederick County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 37, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1993):163-174. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 37 (1993).
- [Hickman] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Hickman] Fay, Mary Smith. "The Three James Hickmans: Identifying Revolutionary War Veterans," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 41, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1997):52-54. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Lampton] Keith, Clayton. Sketch of the Lampton Family in America, 1740-1914. Louisiana, Mo.: C. Keith, 1914. FHL US/CAN Film 1321273 Item 10; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Stafford] Stafford, Carolyn Joy. The Biography of Thomas Moore Stafford, 1841-1910 of City of Louisville, Clark, and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky and Citrus and Lee Counties, Florida: Saddler, Soldier, Settler. Brandon, Fla.: C.J. Stafford, 2007. FHL Book 921.73 St13s; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Watts] Heinemann, Charles Brunk. John Watts Family of Clark County, Kentucky: (Watts Family No. 2). 1934?. FHL Book 929.273 W349he.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Clark County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Clark County, Kentucky:
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Woodward's) - CSA - Company A.
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate) - CSA - Company C.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1793-1868 - Will Books 1 to 19 (1793-1868) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- 1792 - Burbridge, Sandra, submitter. "1792 Tax Roll for Clark County, Kentucky", Clark County KyGenWeb.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Clark County, Kentucky is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1852-1861 - Clark County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Clark County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517232 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Clark County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517233 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1829-1853 - Clark County Marriage Index 1829-1853. Batch M539821 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Clark County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Clark County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517234 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Clark County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517235 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1895 - Clark County Marriage Index 1895. Batch M517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Clark County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clark County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 27 March 2013, at 23:55.
- This page has been accessed 4,046 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More