Clarke County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Clarke County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clarke County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 5, 1801|
|Address|| Clarke County Courthouse|
325 E Washington Street Rm 200
PO Box 1868
Athens, GA 30601
Clarke County Website
Clarke County Courthouse
325 E Washington Street Rm 200
PO Box 1868
Athens, GA 30601
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, land and court records from 1801 and military records from 1922; County Health Department has birth and death records from 1919; Probate Court had marriage and probate records from 1801.
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported damage.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
First Methodist Episcopal Church, Athens
- 1825-1884 - First Methodist Episcopal Church, Athens, Baptism Index 1825-1884. Batch C712491 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1825-1884 - First Methodist Episcopal Church, Athens, Marriage Index 1825-1884. Batch M712491 at FamilySearch - free.
Methodist Episcopal Church South, Winterville
- 1890-1895 - Methodist Episcopal Church South, Winterville, Baptism Index 1890-1895. Batch C712501 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1890-1895 - Methodist Episcopal Church South, Winterville, Marriage Index 1890-1895. Batch M712501 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Index to Deed Boo A 1802-1804 Georgia Pioneers ($).
Local histories are available for Clarke County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- History of Athens and Clarke County. Athens, Ga.?: H.J. Rowe, 1923. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Hull, Augustus Longstreet. Annals of Athens, Georgia, 1801-1901. Athens, Ga.?: Banner Job Office, 1906, c1907. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Maps of Georgia (1758-1932)
- Historical Maps from Hargrett Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Univ. of Georgia Libraries
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps from the Digital Library of Georgia. Most Georgia towns and cities up to 1923. Athens maps for years 1885 and 1893.
Civil War Confederate Units
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Clarke County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Athens Historic Newspaper Archives - Digital Library of Georgia contains full-text issues of 5 historic Athens newspapers. Titles include Athenian (1827-1832), Southern Banner (1832-1882), Southern Watchman (1855-1882),Daily/Weekly Banner-Watchman (1882-1889), Daily/Weekly Athens Banner (1889-1922). Search or Browse available. Viewing papers requires download of free DjVu Browser Plug-in.
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Athens-Clarke County Probate Court Genealogical links and resources.
- Wills 1842-1859 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Wills (1803-1842) (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Index to Will Bk C 1803-1822 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Index to Will Bk C 1822-1842 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Index to Will Bk D 1859-1885 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Index to Will Bk E 1885-1911 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Index to Mixed Estates 1799-1819 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Index to Unbound Estates 1797-1949 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Index to Mixed Estate 1799-1830 Georgia Pioneers ($).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
- 1802, 1805, 1810 Tax Digest (digital) Georgia Pioneers ($).
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- Marriages from Newspapers 1885-1886 Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1805-1852 - Clarke County Marriage Books A thru D Index 1805-1852. Batch M531921 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1808 - Clarke County Marriage Index 1808. Batch M531927 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1846-1872 - Clarke County Marriage Books D and E Index 1846-1872. Batch M531922 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1885 - Clarke County Marriage Books F thru H Index 1871-1885. Batch M531923 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1890 - Clarke County Marriage Books F thru H Index 1886-1890. Batch M531924 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1890-1901 - Clarke County Marriage Books I and J Index 1890-1901. Batch M531925 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-50, 1879-80 - Clarke County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Georgia Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Athens Historical Society
- Clarke-Oconee Genealogical Society
- Athens-Clarke County Library Heritage Room
- Hargrett Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Univ. of Georgia Libraries
- University of Georgia Main Library
- University of Georgia Map Library
- University of Georgia, Government Documents Collection
Family History Centers
- Clarke County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Clarke County, GAGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Digital Library of Georgia - Digital Library of Georgia contains is a gateway to Georgia's history and culture found in digitized books, manuscripts, photographs, government documents, newspapers, maps, audio, video, and other resources. The Digital Library of Georgia connects users to a million digital objects in more than 200 collections from 60 institutions and 100 government agencies. Though this represents only a fraction of Georgia's cultural treasures, the Digital Library of Georgia continues to grow through its partnerships with libraries, archives, museums, government agencies, and allied organizations across the state. Viewing requires download of free DjVu Browser Plug-in.
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clarke County, Georgia. Page 153 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 20. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:22.
- This page has been accessed 15,885 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki