Clay County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Clay County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clay County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 22, 1822|
|Address|| Clay County Courthouse|
1 Courthouse Square
Liberty, MO 64086
Clay County Website
Clay County Courthouse
Recorder Deeds has marriage and land records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
from 1822; Probate Court has probate records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
- Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri Index to Biographies at Ancestry.com ($)
- Portrait and biographical record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton, and Linn Counties, Missouri : containing biographical sketchePortrait and biographical record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton, and Linn Counties, Missouri : containing biographical sketche at Ancestry.com ($)
Roberts Cemetery, Gallatin BillionGraves
- Clay County, Missouri Cemetery Records, Volume I-II at Ancestry.com ($)
For tips on accessing Clay County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. James, Liberty
- 1847-1873 - St. James, Liberty, Baptism Index 1847-1873. Batch C511941 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1847-1879 - St. James, Liberty, Marriage Index 1847-1879. Batch M511941 at FamilySearch - free.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Missouri City
- Abstracts of wills and administrations of Clay County, Missouri at Ancestry.com ($)
- Kansas City, Missouri City Directories, 1889-91 at Ancestry.com ($)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Clay County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Kansas City, Missouri : its history and its people, 1808-1908 at Ancestry.com ($)
- A civic history of Kansas City, Missouri at Ancestry.com ($)
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Family Maps of Clay County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Clay County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all 114 Missouri counties including Clay County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1886 Clay County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Early migration routes to and from Clay County, Missouri for European settlers included:
- - 11th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company F
:- 12th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company F
:- 12th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company I
:- 12th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company G
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Captain Wiley C Snail's Company
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company I
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company K
:- 4th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company L
:- 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Clay County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Clay County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1855-1869 - Clay County Birth Index 1855-1869. Batch C514791 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1885 - Clay County Birth Index 1865-1885. Batch C514793 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1884 - Clay County Birth Index 1883-1884. Batch C514794 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1822-1878 - Clay County Marriage Books A thru D Index 1822-1878. Batch M514791 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1885 - Clay County Marriage Books E thru F Index 1877-1885. Batch M514792 at FamilySearch - free.
- Clay County, Missouri Marriages, 1852-1900: Vol. 1-3 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1884 - Clay County Death Index 1883-1884. Batch B514795 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- List of Missouri Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Liberty Tribune, 1860-1869 and Liberty Weekly Tribune, 1846-1860 Searchable online at the State Historical Society of Missouri’s Digital Collections, Index to Selected Missouri Newspapers.
Smithville Historical Society
Smithville is located in both Clay and Platte counties. There are a number of resources available on their website.
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Liberty Missouri Family History Center 1130 N Clayview Dr, Liberty, MO 64068-3405 United States Location Map
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Clay County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Clay County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Clay County" See also local libraries] and Missouri Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Clay County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Clay County, MO Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Clay County Message Board
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clay County, Missouri. Page 399 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Henry Clay," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)
- This page was last modified on 10 July 2014, at 15:35.
- This page has been accessed 9,809 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki