Clinton County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Clinton County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clinton County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 2, 1833|
|Address|| Clinton County Courthouse|
211 N Main Street
PO Box 245
Plattsburg, MO 64477-0245
Clinton County Website
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, court and land records
from 1833 and military records from 1919; Probate Judge
has probate records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
COUNTY BUILDING DAMAGED
PLATTSBURG, Mo. (AP) - Fire destroyed the top floor of the 80-year-old Clinton County Courthouse here Friday, but county officials say most government records were saved. ... The sheriff said he lost all of his arrest records and a two-way radio system. ... County Collector Carl Joson said the county's tax records could be salvaged because they were kept in a vault, but everything in the office except his brass spittoon was destroyed. ...
The Daily Capital News, Jefferson City, MO 15 Jun 1974
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
Cameron, Missouri. Population over 9,000 (this includes the prison.)
- Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri Biographical Record at Ancestry.com ($)
- Portrait and biographical record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri : containing biographical sketches of prominent and at Ancestry.com ($)
Cameron Memory Gardens. East of Cameron on Grand Avenue or "Old 36 Hwy" This is Cameron's newest Cemetery.
For tips on accessing Clinton County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Cameron First Baptist Church
St. Ann's, Plattsburg
- 1868-1876 - St. Ann's, Plattsburg, Baptism Index 1868-1876. Batch C511761 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-1885 - St. Ann's, Plattsburg, Marriage Index 1869-1885. Batch M511761 at FamilySearch - free.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Cameron
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Clinton County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
The History of Clinton County, Missouri: containing a history of the County ... (1881) is available online free from Google Books.
A Portrait and biographical record of Buchanan and Clinton counties, Missouri containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens... (1893) is available online free from Google Books. The first part of the book contains biographies of the U.S. presidents. The second part, starting on p.111, contains biographies Buchanan and Clinton county residents.
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Family Maps of Clinton County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Interactive map of Clinton County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Clinton County.
- - 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
:- 48th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
:- 4th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 6th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company F
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Clinton County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1863-1875 - Clinton County Birth Index 1863-1875. Batch C514801 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865 - Clinton County Birth Index, Volumes B and C, 1865. Batch C514802 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1847-1881 - Clinton County Marriage Books B thru C Index 1847-1881. Batch M514802 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Clinton County Marriage Book 2 Index 1881-1885. Batch M514803 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1888 - Clinton County Death Index 1883-1888. Batch B514854 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Clinton County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Clinton County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Clinton County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clinton County, Missouri. Page 399 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 26 June 2014, at 21:41.
- This page has been accessed 9,137 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki