Cocke County, Tennessee GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Cocke County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than 10 books or articles have been published about Cocke County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested.
- Main article: Cocke County, Tennessee
Gordon Aronhime (1911-1983) collected information on hundreds of Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee pioneers. His note cards, which reference more than 4,000 early settlers of the Holston-Clinch River area and East Tennessee (1770s-1790s), are held at the Library of Virginia. The cards have been digitized and made available online.
- Hensley, Benny E. Beneath the Oaks at the Foot of Meadow Creek Mountain, Oak Hill, Parrottsville, TN. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8895 D2h.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Carter] Walker, Edward R. Walking With the Walkers. Johnson City, Tenn.: Overmountain Press, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 W151we.
- [Denton] Lawson, Fred Raulston. The Lawsons of East Tennessee. Decatur, Ga.: Looking Glass Books, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 L444Lf.
- [Leatherwood] Wheeler, Phillip Glenn. The Descendants of Thomas and Mary (Lanford) Leatherwood. Fontana, Calif.: P.G. Wheeler, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 L484w.
- [Maddux] Jones, Maude Maddux. Nathaniel Maddux and Descendants, a Genealogy. Escondido, Calif.: Brinck Lithographing Co., 1972. FHL Books 929.273 M264j
- [Phillips] Jonas Phillips and Descendants: Children of the Mountains. Cosby, Tenn.: H. Phillips, 1993FHL Collection 929.273 P544p; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Shultz] Reagan, Donald B. Smoky Mountain Clans. 3 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: D.B. Reagan, 1978-1983. FHL Book 929.273R22b 1978. [The Shultz family is discussed in Vol. 2.]
- [Thomas] Lawson, Fred Raulston. The Lawsons of East Tennessee. Decatur, Ga.: Looking Glass Books, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 L444Lf.
- [Williams] Dixon, Ben F. American Ancestry of Pryor Williams. San Diego, CA: Privately published, 1959. FHL Fiche 6018493; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- ↑ "Original Virginia Records Imaged and Indexed Online," Arlene Eakle's Virginia Genealogy Blog, 12 October 2008.
- This page was last modified on 29 October 2012, at 23:43.
- This page has been accessed 1,502 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki