Cocoa Florida Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Cocoa Florida Stake Family History Center serves Brevard County Florida area. The County is located in the east central part of Florida and extends for seventy miles from its northern county line with Volusia County, to its southern county line shared with Indian River County. The Library is located centrally in the county giving patrons close access to I-95 or US #1.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 1801 South Fiske Blvd Rockledge, FL 32955-3003 United States
- Family History Library is located in the back.
- Entrance door is under the large antenna.
- Location on Map
Phone: (321) 636-2431
- Tues: 9 AM to 1 PM
- Wed: 9 AM to 1 PM 6:30 PM to 9 PM
- Thu: 9 AM to 1 PM
- Fri: 9 AM to 1 PM
- 1st, 3rd, 5th Saturday 10am to 2pm
Note: The Center may close early if there are no patrons. Please call if you are arriving late.
- The Family History Center will be closed for the entire month of August.
- (1 August thru 31 August) If you have questions about your film or film orders, please call during our regular working hours.
- Closed for Thanksgiving
- Closed for Christmas and New Years Holiday
- July 4th weekend
- The month of August
Calendar and Events
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
These sites are the ones that you may access free in the Center.
- www.ancestry.com: The largest for-profit genealogy website. Access thousands of collections of worldwide records, including birth, marriage, death, census, immigration, naturalization, military, newspaper and periodicals, family trees, photos and images, directories, maps, court, land, wills and financial records, stories, memories and histories.
- www.fold3.com (formerly Footnote.com): This website has refocused its efforts on gathering the best online collection of military records and stories.
- http://alexanderstreet.com: indexed website of four million American Civil War soldiers, including photographs, letters, diaries, and memoirs.
- www.heritagequestonline.com: search records back to the 1700s, including census 1790-1930, books with over 24,000 family and local histories, PERSI (2.1 million genealogy and local history articles), Revolutionary War including pension and bounty-land warrant application files, Freedman’s Bank including name index and images for African American depositors, dependents and heirs; and U.S. Serial Set (memorials, petitions and private relief actions of the US Congress.
- www.godfrey.org: US and international resources including extensive collection of city and business directories, vital records, military lists; state, county and local histories; numerous family histories, family Bible records, service and pension records, African American newspapers, church and cemetery records.
- www.newspaperarchive.com: world’s largest online newspaper archive, featuring billions of articles from historical international newspapers. Discover obituaries, birth announcements, sports articles and more to fill in the life stories of your ancestors.
- http://find.galegroup.com/bncn/: searchable database of the British Library’s newspaper holdings of 48 national and regional newspapers, 1800 to 1900.
- www.worldvitalrecords.com: 1.2 billion names and 11, 000 data bases to search for birth, marriages, deaths, divorce, public, newspaper, court, and military records; wills, biographies, gravestone photos, yearbooks, maps, family histories and more.
- www.findmypast.co.uk: research UK ancestry using census including the 1911 Census for England and Wales, birth, marriage and death records, and create your family tree.
- thegenealogist.co.uk: English parish records, directories, census, civil registration, surname mapping, and selected Army and Navy lists.
- www.genline.com: Swedish church records from the 1600s to 1897, and civil registration from 1860-1897. Later records, to the 1930s are being added.
- www.proquest.historicmapworks.com: digital map collection of 470,000 historic maps.
- www.genealogytoday.com: documents of 19th Century westward American migration.
Hardware and Equipment
- Six computers
- Microfilm and microfiche readers, plus a scanner for making copies.
- You may print to paper or save to your USB drive.
- Note: (Minimal charge for paper copies)
Staff Research Specialties
The staff does not do your research for you, but will help you in planning and executing, your search.
Each of our Volunteers is knowledgable in the use of the online databases offered. Some have more experience in selected areas than others. For instance, one volunteer is excellent in English and German research. Another has a vast knowledge of Swedish records and where to located these records. All of our volunteers are familiar with US records, but may be better locating records in certain States, than another. One volunteer is great at organizing records and can help you with saving records on your computer. You will need to keep some order to your finds.
From beginner to experienced researchers, we all need help and our vounteers are here to help.
Resources in the Local Area
Brevard Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 1123
Cocoa, FL 32923-1123
Genealogical Society of North Brevard
P.O. Box 897
Titusville, FL 32781-0897
Genealogical Society of South Brevard
P.O. Box 786
Melbourne, FL 32902-0786
Brevard County Libraries Genealogy Collection
Florida Historical Library
435 Brevard Avenue
Cocoa, FL 32922
The US GenWeb Project: The FlGenWeb Project: Brevard
Brevard County FLGenWeb Project, Inc
Brevard County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- This page was last modified on 10 March 2014, at 14:51.
- This page has been accessed 1,897 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More