Codsall, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Codsall, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Seisdon|
|Parish registers: 1587|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1673|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Tettenhall|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
CODSALL (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union,and S. division of the hundred, of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 5 miles (N. W.) from Wolverhampton. There is a place of worship for Independents.The District church of Codsall Wood St Peter was formed from this parish in 1951.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Codsall St Nicholas parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|CODSALL PARISH (1587) Online Records|
The District Church of Codsall Wood St Peter has no deposited registers; these are with the incumbent at the church.
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Codsall, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474629.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 654-659. Date accessed: 30 October 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 April 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2016, at 03:48.
- This page has been accessed 4,688 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News