Cohoes, New YorkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Cohoes, New York|
Location in Albany County
Albany County's location in the state of New York
|Address|| 97 Mohawk Street|
Cohoes, NY 12047
- 1630: The land was purchased from the local Indians, became part of the Manor of Rensselaerwyck.
- Name origin: Dutch adaptation of Mohawk "Ga-ha-oose" for "place of the falling canoe"
- 1848: Cohoes was incorporated as a village within the Town of Watervliet.
- 1869: Chartered as a city.
All titles, unless otherwise indicated, are FamilySearch Catalog (FHL) entries.
- The history of Cohoes, New York: from its earliest settlement to the present time, pub. 1877 (FHL)
- Index to Coeymans and the past: by Edward D. Giddings, 1973 (FHL)
Business records and commerce
- The City of Cohoes: its past and present history, and future prospects: its great manufactories (FHL)
- Colonie, Albany County, New York, Fonda, Lansing and Weaver burial plots and Van Schaick Family cemetery (FHL)
This cemetery was used by parishioners of St. Bernard's Church until 1936. It was permanently closed in 1958. Few gravestones are left. No church burial records exist for Calvary Cemetery. Some burial records have been reconstructed from obituaries from Fultonhistory.com. The obituaries are found in Findagrave.com.
Saint Agnes Catholic
Not to be confused with St. Agnes Catholic, located in Menards, next to Albany Rural Cemetery. Cemetery office (518) 463-0134
Church Directories, History and Records
- Directory: First Baptist Church, Cohoes, N.Y., 1918. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Fiche 6062151 (1 fiche)
- A Brief history of the First Baptist Church, Cohoes, New York. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Fiche 6062098 (1 fiche)
- Saint Joseph, Cohoes, New York, baptisms: September, 1868 to August, 2005. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.743/C1 K28j v. 1-3
- St. Joseph, Cohoes, NY, marriages ... October 1867 to May 1999. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.743/C1 K28s v. 1-2
see also: Church Directories
- The Albany and Troy blue book of selected names: for Albany, Troy, Cohoes, Lansingburgh [sic], Waterford, Bath, Greenbush, East Albany, West Troy, Green Island, Menands, Loudonville and Newtonville, containing the names and addresses of prominent residents, arranged both alphabetically and numerically by streets; also shopping guide, theatre diagrams, club members, and other valuable information, 1895. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Fiche 6062133 (4 fiche)
- Albany County officials illustrated directory, 1902-1903.At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Fiche 6062152 (2 fiche)
- The Troy directory: also Cohoes and Waterford, Watervliet and Green Island, N.Y. ... containing a general directory of the citizens; business directory; street directory; house directory; and city, county, and state registers. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Fiche 6088257 (1 fiche)
see also: Business commerce
- Where Hudson's voyage ended: an inquiry : Cohoes, and the origin of the name (FHL)
- Map of Troy, Watervliet, Cohoes, Waterford and Green Island [New York]
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Cohoes Public Library
169 Mohawk Street
Cohoes, NY 12047>br>Phone: 518-235-2570
Cohoes City Clerk
97 Mohawk Street
Cohoes, NY 12047
The City of Cohoes has birth, death and marriage records dating back to 1882.
Spindle City Historic Society
58 Remsen Street
Cohoes, NY 12047
Articles from their newsletters and guides for tours are available on their website.
To locate additional published and transcribed records for Cohoes, New York check:
- Gordon L. Remington, New York Towns, Villages, and Cities: A Guide to Genealogical Sources (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2002). American Ancestors online edition; At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.7 D27r. Alphabetical list including date founded, if a town history exists, church and cemetery sources, and if a Civil War register (TCR) exists. The codes used under Church and Cemetery are defined in the link above the listing of towns, cities and villages.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:22.
- This page has been accessed 6,231 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki