Cole County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cole County, Missouri|
| Map of the U.S. highlighting Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||November 16, 1820|
|County Seat||Jefferson City|
|Address|| Cole County Courthouse|
01 E High Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Cole County Website
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1821;
Probate Judge has probate records from 1821; Recorder Deeds
has marriage and land records from 1821
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Jefferson City, MO Cole County Courthouse Fire
Jefferson City, Mo., March 14. -- The Cole County courthouse was destroyed by fire this afternoon. The records which were in fireproof vaults were not damaged. The building was insured for $70,000. The cost of replacing the structure, it was stated today would be $100,000, though the original cost was $59,000.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 15 Mar 1918
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
To see a list of places in Cole County, click on [Show], in the bar above.
- All of the family biographies from the History of Cole County, (1889) by Goodspeed Publishing Company are available free online at My Genealogy Hound.
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has burial records for Jefferson City and other Cemeteries around the country.
- Jefferson City, Missouri, Jefferson City National Cemetery, 1861-2010 at Ancestry.com ($)
For tips on accessing Cole County, Missouri census records online, see: Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, Lohman, records in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at .com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Cole County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage counties, Missouri : from the earliest time to the present, including a department devoted to the preservation of sundry personal, business, professional and private records, besides a valuable fund of notes, original observations, etc., etc. Chicago : Goodspeed Pub. Co., 1889.
- Online at Family Search (Free)
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Maps of townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Digital Library has digital copies of county plat books (ca. 1930) for all counties including Cole County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Cole County, with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- - 10th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company E
:- 10th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company F
:- 10th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company G
:- 26th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company G
:- 33rd Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company B
:- 9th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 9th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- Richardson Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia, 6 months (Union), Company I
:- Richardson Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia, 6 months (Union), Company K
:- Richardson Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia, 6 months (Union), Company ?
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company I
:- 42nd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company K
:- 4th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company A
:- 5th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (2nd Organization) (Union), Company D
:- 5th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (2nd Organization) (Union), Company E
:- 8th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company A
:- 8th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company B
:- Richardson Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia, 6 months (Union), Company A
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cole County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Jefferson City newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on Cole County residents as well as residents from surrounding counties.
Chronicling America a list of 1836 to 1922 Cole County newspapers with their descriptions and where they are held
The State Historical Society of Missouri digitized newspapers from Cole County - you must sort by Cole County
- Jefferson City Post-Tribune (Jefferson City, Missouri) at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Capital News (Jefferson City, Missouri) at Ancestry.com ($)
- News and Tribune (Jefferson City, Missouri) at Ancestry.com ($)
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1865-1874 - Cole County 1865-1874. Batch C514812 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883 - Cole County 1883. Batch C514814 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1906 - Cole County 1883-1906. Batch C514817 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885 - Cole County 1885. Batch C514815 at FamilySearch - free.
- Cole County, Missouri Births, 1883-1906 at Ancestry.com ($)
- 1821-1865 - Cole County A and B Index 1821-1865. Batch M514811 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1881 - Cole County C and D Index 1865-1881. Batch M514812 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Cole County 1 and 2 Index 1881-1885. Batch M514813 at FamilySearch - free.
- Cole County, Missouri Marriages: 1821-51 at Ancestry.com ($)
- State provides on-line access to Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1906 - Cole County Death Index 1883-1906. Batch B514817 at FamilySearch - free.
- Cole County, Missouri Deaths, 1924-1930 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Cole County, Missouri Deaths, 1883-1906 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Cole County, Missouri Obituaries, 1871-99 at Ancestry.com ($)
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Cole County Historical Society
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Jefferson City Family History Center 4618 Henwick Ln, Jefferson, City MO 65109-0108 United States Location Map
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Cole County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Cole County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Cole County" See also local libraries and Missouri Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Cole County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Cole County, MO Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Cole County Message Board
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, : Everton Pub., 2002), Cole County, . Page 399 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, :Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Genealogical Society of , Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 28 October 2014, at 21:37.
- This page has been accessed 13,221 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page