Collier County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Collier County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Collier County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||May 8, 1923|
Collier County Courthouse
3315 Tamiami Trail East
Naples, FL 34112-5324
County Judge has marriage and probate records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records from 1923
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Albert Benjamin Addison - FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
- Collier Co. FLGenWeb Project,Inc. Cemetery Index
For tips on accessing Collier County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Collier County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Maps of Florida (1821-1997)
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
Index - FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Collier County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Collier County, Florida Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search). Naples Daily News
1100 Immokalee Road
Naples, FL 34110 http://www.naplesnews.com
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
- Addison, Albert Benjamin and Charity - FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
- Collier County obits-By Mary-
- In Memory, Fallen Officers of Collier Co. FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
- Obituary Index: 28 July 1927 - January, 2008 (Completed by volunteers from the Genealogical Society of Collier County).
Pioneer's of Collier
Speed Menefee - FLGenWeb Project,Inc.
Probate records are held by the Collier County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Collier County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1923-1945 - Collier County Marriage Book 1 Index 1923-1945. Batch M736792 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Genealogical Society of Collier County, Inc.
P.O. Box 7933
Naples, FL 34101
The Genealogical Society of Collier County, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located in Naples, Florida. We are dedicated to researching and recording family histories; as well as teaching and assisting researchers through our many educational classes and programs.
Many of our members also serve as volunteers in the "Genealogy Room" located in the reference area of the Naples Regional Library, 650 Central Avenue. Our library volunteers are eager to assist library patrons by offering guidance with the genealogy special collection and computer databases. A schedule of when volunteers are on duty can be found on our website under "Volunteer Help."
The Society offers two free "Beginning Genealogy" courses each year and monthly educational programs at our meetings. Please consult our website at http://thegscc.org for the dates, times and location of our classes and meetings.
Naples Daily News Obituary Index
Volunteers from the Genealogical Society of Collier County, Inc. have indexed names from obituaries and death notices published in the Naples newspapers from July 28, 1927 to January 2008, however the microfilm for certain years has not been found or doesn’t exist. The microfilm reels used in this project, currently numbering over 850, are housed in the Collier County Public Library at 650 Central Avenue, Naples. To search the index online visit: http://public.collier-lib.org/db/ .
Family History Surname Index
Volunteers from the Genealogical Society of Collier County have indexed the surnames found in all the family history books located in the genealogy special collection at the Naples Regional Library,650 Central Avenue. To search the index online visit:http://public.collier-lib.org/dbgen/ .
- List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Collier County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Collier County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Collier County FLGenWeb
- Collier County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Genealogical Society of Collier County, Inc.
- Collier County Public Library Genealogy Resources Page
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Collier County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 26 January 2015, at 03:19.
- This page has been accessed 11,763 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More