Colonial Wars, 1607 to 1763Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
List of Colonial Wars
The following are the wars that occurred before 1775 in what is now the United States. (May not be complete)
|Date||Name of the War|
|1675-1676||King Philip's War|
|1689-1697||King William's War|
|1702-1713||Queen Anne's War|
|1739–1748||War of Jenkins' Ear|
|1744-1748||King George's War|
|1755-1763||French and Indian War|
|1774||Lord Dunmore's War|
States Involved in Colonial Wars
Canadian Provinces Involved in Colonial Wars
- New Brunswick (French)
- Newfoundland (British and French)
- Nova Scotia (British and French)
- Ontario (British and French)
- Quebec (British and French)
Where to Find Records
Many colonists served in local militias and participated in King William’s War (1689–97), Queen Anne's War (1702-1713), King George’s War (1744–48), and the French and Indian War (1754–63). Because these were local units and not part of the British Army, any surviving records are in historical societies and state libraries and archives.
The Family History Library has copies of many of the records that have been published. These are found in Place Search in the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- [STATE] ‑ MILITARY RECORDS
- [STATE], [COUNTY] ‑ MILITARY RECORDS
- [STATE], [COUNTY], [CITY] ‑ MILITARY RECORDS
Veterans and Lineage Society Records
General Society of Colonial Wars
This society was established in 1893 and has no permanent headquarters. Membership in the society requires that the member be a male at least 18 years of age and be able to show direct lineage to an ancestor who served in the Colonial Wars.
For current address and etc. on the society check the current edition of:
- "Encyclopedia of Associations" by Maurer and Sheets, eds. Vol. 1, pt 2, Section 12. (FHL 973 E4gr) (Worldcat) Provides addresses and phone numbers as well as a description of the organizations, their publications, and references to any library or research materials they maintain.
Index of Ancestors and Roll of Members
The "Index of Ancestors and Roll of Members of the Society of Colonial Wars" (Google Books) (FHL 1036804 item 4) (Worldcat) was published in 1922. The book is divided into three parts. Part I contains an alphabetical list of Colonial Wars ancestors with birth and death dates, war in which they served, rank, and a list of members who descended from that person as of about 1921. Part II contains a list of members with their General Society Number, reference to the page where they are listed as a descendant, and state membership. Part III contains an "Honor Roll", or list, of members that served during World War I. The "Honor Roll" has its own index.
Records at the Family History Library
The Family History Library has the following records of this society:
Society of The Colonial Dames
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America (NSCDA) was founded in 1891. Membership in the society requires direct descent from an ancestor who resided in an American colony prior to 1750 which ancestor or some one of his descendants being a lineal ascendant of the applicant shall have rendered efficient service to his country during the Colonial period up to July 5, 1776. The society consists of 44 state societies and the District of Columbia.
Index of Ancestors
The society's website has a ancestor index which gives the name of the ancestor and links to materials written on that person. The index may not be complete.
The state societies often published lists of their members which usually contain the members names and a lineage showing their connection to a colonial ancestor. A list of ancestors and a description of their service is also usually included. See the state military pages for publications related to the Colonial Wars.
- "Colonial Wars of North America 1512–1763: An Encyclopedia" Gallay, Alan, ed. 1996. (FHL 973 M2cw) (Worldcat) Contains short essays with references on people, events and topics from the Spanish conquistadors to Pontiac Wars of 1763.
- Lydon, James G. Struggle For Empire: A Bibliography of the French and Indian War.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:22.
- This page has been accessed 13,196 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki