Colorado Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
An inventory that can help you find church records is:
- Guide to Vital Statistics Records in Colorado, Volume 2. Church Archives. Denver: Colorado Historical Records Survey W.P.A., 1942; FHL Collection book 978.8 A3h; film 897482 item 9. This book lists churches that existed about 1940.
The Family History Library has records of some Catholic and Presbyterian congregations and pre-1949 LDS ward records, but few other church records. Check the FHL catalog for a complete listing of church records in the collection. The library also has histories of the Episcopal, Latter-day Saint, Presbyterian and other religious groups in the state.
Many denominations have collected their records into central repositories. You can write to the following addresses to learn where their records are located:
American Baptist Historical Society
P.O. Box 851
Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610) 768-2374
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Early Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Church records for Colorado
Ward and Branch records can be found on microfilm at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers for each ward are listed in the FamilySearch Catalog. A good reference is:
- Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507 2 fiche).
These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
Diocese of Colorado
1300 Washington St
Denver, CO 80203-2008
Phone: (303) 837-1173
Rocky Mountain Conference Historical Society
Ira J. Taylor Library
Iliff School of Theology
2201 S. University Boulevard
Denver, CO 80210-4798
Phone: (303) 744-1287
Fax: (303) 777-3387 or (303) 777-0164
Archives of the Diocese of Colorado Springs
228 North Cascade Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Phone: (719) 636-2345
Archives of the Archdiocese of Denver
1300 South Steele St.
Denver, CO 80210-2599
Phone: (303) 722-4687
Fax: (303) 331-8071
The Archdiocese includes the counties of: Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Clear Creek, Denver, Eagle, garfield, Gilpin, Grand , Jackson, Jefferson, Larimer, Logan, Moffat, Morgan, Phillips, Pitkin, Rio Blanco, Routt, Sedgwick, Summit, Washington, Weld and Yuma
Diocese of Pueblo
1001 No. Grand Avenue
Pueblo, CO 81003
Phone: (719) 544-9861
Fax: (719) 544-5202
The diocese includes the counties of: Alamosa, Archuleta, Baca, Bent, Conejos, Costilla, Crowley, Custer, Delta, Dolores, Fremont, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Huerfano, Kiowa, Las Animas, Mesa, Mineral, Montezuma, Montrose, Otero, Ouray, Prowers, Pueblo, Rio Grande, Saguache, San Juan and San Miguel
For a history of the Catholic church in Colorado, see:
- Salpointe, Rev. Jean Baptiste. Soldiers of the Cross: Notes on the Ecclesiastical History of New-Mexico, Arizona and Colorado. Banning, Calif.: St. Boniface's Industrial School, 1898; digital version at Google Books; 1967 reprint: FHL Collection book 973 K2sj
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:23.
- This page has been accessed 6,187 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page