Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most archives, historical societies, and genealogical societies have special collections and indexes of genealogical value. These must usually be searched in person.
Check resources of the Colorado State Archives
Two manuscript collections of compiled genealogies are:
Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Collection. This collection consists of transcripts of Bible, cemetery, church, marriage, death, obituary, and will records. It was microfilmed in 1970 at the DAR Library in Washington, DC. The collection is on ten films at the Family History Library beginning with FHL film 849910. The volumes are generally arranged by county, and many have individual indexes.
The Spanish-American Mission Collection. This is a collection of family group sheets giving the ancestry of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from the southwest. It is on microfilm at the Family History Library, filmed in 1973 and 1980. FHL films 940001-5.
Publications with genealogical information about early settlers of Colorado include:
Territorial Daughters of Colorado. Pioneers of the Territory of Southern Colorado. Four Volumes. Monte Vista, Colorado: C.B.I. Offset Printers, 1980. FHL book 978.8 D2p.
Colorado Families: A Territorial Heritage. Denver: Colorado Genealogical Society, 1981. FHL book 978.8 D3c.
Writing and Sharing Your Family History
Sharing your own family history is valuable for several reasons:
- It helps you see gaps in your own research and raises opportunities to find new information.
- It helps other researchers progress in researching ancestors you share in common.
- It draws other researchers to you who already have information about your family that you do not yet possess.
- It draws together researchers with common interests, sparking collaboration opportunities. For instance, researchers in various localities might choose to do lookups for each other in remote repositories. Your readers may also share photos of your ancestors that you have never seen before.
- See also:
- AncestorHunt Colorado Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy on the Internet
- This page was last modified on 11 February 2014, at 17:59.
- This page has been accessed 4,136 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page