Colton, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Colton, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Lichfield PLU|
|Parish registers: 1647|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1660|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
COLTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Rugeley. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Colton St Mary is an Ancient Parish Other places in the parish are Lee or Lea Lane and Newland.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births marriages and deaths. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district (formerly held at Lichfield) and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Colton St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|COLTON PARISH (1607) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Colton, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474623.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 668-672. Date accessed: 30 October 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 25 August 2014, at 21:16.
- This page has been accessed 1,777 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki