Columbia County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Columbia County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Columbia County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 17, 1852|
|Address|| Columbia County Courthouse|
1 Court Sq, #1;
Magnolia, AR 71753
Columbia County Courthouse
1 Court Sq, #1;
Magnolia, AR 71753
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1853, divorce and court records from 1860 and probate records. The County Library has cemetery records.
- 1852--Columbia County was created 17 December 1852 from Lafayette, Hempstead, and Ouachita Counties.
County seat: Magnolia 
See an interactive map of Columbia County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Barges Chapel Methodist Church
- 1820-1872 - Barges Chapel Methodist Church Baptism Index 1820-1872. Batch C586261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1896, 1915 - Barges Chapel Methodist Church Marriage Index 1896, 1915. Batch M586261 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Columbia County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Columbia County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Columbia County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1853-1951 - Columbia County Marriage Books A-Z, AA-LL Index 1853-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1853-1926 - Columbia County Marriage Books D2-Q Index 1853-1926 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Magnolia Arkansas Family History Center 2504 Pearce St., Magnolia, AR 71753-4368 United States
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Columbia County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 67.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5c/Igiarkansasad.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 26 November 2013, at 21:52.
- This page has been accessed 2,992 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More