Columbia County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Columbia County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Columbia County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 10, 1790|
|Address|| Columbia County Courthouse|
PO Box 498
Evans, GA 30809
Columbia County Website
Columbia County Courthouse
PO Box 498
Evans, GA 30809
Columbia County Courthouse
Clerk of Court has land records from 1700’s, court records from 1900’s, and divorce records from 1945; Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records.
Clerk of Superior Court
P.O. Box 2930
640 Ronald Reagan Drive
Evans, GA 30809
Phone: (706) 312-7139
Columbia County Court Clerk
Probate Court of Columbia County
Columbia County Probate Court
PO Box 1520
Evans, GA 30809
Phone: (706) 312-7254
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
LDS Cemetery Records
- US Vol. 5
- page 100 - Walker Cemetery
- page 100 - Piney Grove Church
- page 100 - Adams Chapel Church
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Church of the Heavenly Rest, Grovetown
- 1887-1895 - Church of the Heavenly Rest, Grovetown, Baptism Index 1887-1895. Batch C712591 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Index to Deeds 1801-1803; Bk E 1815 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Local histories are available for Columbia County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Columbia County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Columbia County, Georgia Genealogy:
- -10th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company F
- - 16th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company K
- - 37th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company H
- - 48th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company K
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project (other War's information is also giving)
- Georgia. 1961. Confederate pension records, 1890-1913. Atlanta [Georgia]: Georgia Department of Archives and History. Film 847842 item2
- Georgia. 1967. Confederate pension rolls, 1920-1933. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Film 515964 item1
- Hageness, MariLee Beatty. 1995. Military rosters 27 March 1793: Columbia County, Georgia. [Anniston, Ala.]: M.B. Hageness. 975.8635 M2h also Film 2055469 item 5
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Columbia County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Columbia County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 - Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 - Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1790-1888 - Wills 1790-1888 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1803-1821, 1839-1859 - Index to Wills 1803-1821; 1839-1859 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1788-1825 - Index to Letters of Administration 1788-1825 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1809-1827 - Index to Distribution of Estates 1809-1827 Georgia Pioneers
- 1804-1810, 1821-1829, 1829-1839 - Index to Inventories, Sales, Appraisements, Book G 1804-1810; 1821-1829; Bk X 1829-1839; Bk EE 1839-1850 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1813-1821, 1820-1826, 1824-1833 - Index to Accounts of Estates Book L, 1813-1821; Book M, 1820-1826; Book CC, 1824-1833 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785 - 1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808 - 1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699 - 1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1791 - 1934 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books A and B Index 1791-1934. Batch M712571 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787 - 1930 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books B thru D Index 1787-1930. Batch M712572 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787 - 1935 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books D thru G Index 1787-1935. Batch M712573 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787 - 1935 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books G thru I Index 1787-1935. Batch M712574 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1846 - 1937 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books I thru L Index 1846-1937. Batch M712575 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787 - 1805 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books L and M Index 1787-1805. Batch M712576 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787 - 1805 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books M thru R Index 1787-1805. Batch M712577 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787 - 1805 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books R thru T Index 1787-1805. Batch M712578 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856 - 1935 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books T thru W Index 1856-1935. Batch M712579 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1791 - 1934 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books W thru Z Index 1791-1934. Batch M712581 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1806 - 1852 - Columbia County Marriage Registers A and B Index 1806-1852. Batch M712582 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852 - 1873 - Columbia County Marriage Register C Index 1852-1873. Batch M712583 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871 - 1888 - Columbia County Marriage Register D Index 1871-1888. Batch M712584 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1887 - 1895 - Columbia County Marriage Registers E and F Index 1887-1895. Batch M712585 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866 - 1905 - Columbia County Marriage Registers A and B Index 1874-1905. Batch M712561 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1933 - 1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914 - 1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928 - 1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1849-50, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Columbia County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Columbia County Historical Society
P.O. Box 203
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Columbia County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Columbia County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Columbia County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Georgia. Page 153 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 24. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 25 November 2015, at 22:34.
- This page has been accessed 23,055 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News