Columbia County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Columbia County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Columbia County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 10, 1790|
|Address|| Columbia County Courthouse|
PO Box 498
Evans, GA 30809
Columbia County Website
Columbia County Courthouse
PO Box 498
Evans, GA 30809
Clerk of Court has land records from 1700’s, court records from 1900’s, and divorce records from 1945; Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records.
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
- Aiken County, South Carolina
- Edgefield County, South Carolina
- McCormick County, South Carolina
LDS Cemetery Records
- US Vol. 5
- page 100 - Walker Cemetery
- page 100 - Piney Grove Church
- page 100 - Adams Chapel Church
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Church of the Heavenly Rest, Grovetown
- 1887-1895 - Church of the Heavenly Rest, Grovetown, Baptism Index 1887-1895. Batch C712591 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Index to Deeds 1801-1803; Bk E 1815 Georgia Pioneers
Local histories are available for Columbia County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Columbia County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1790-1888 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Wills 1803-1821; 1839-1859 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Letters of Administration 1788-1825 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Distribution of Estates 1809-1827 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Inventories, Sales, Appraisements, Book G 1804-1810; 1821-1829; Bk X 1829-1839; Bk EE 1839-1850 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Accounts of Estates Book L, 1813-1821; Book M, 1820-1826; Book CC, 1824-1833
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1791-1934 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books A and B Index 1791-1934. Batch M712571 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1930 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books B thru D Index 1787-1930. Batch M712572 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1935 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books D thru G Index 1787-1935. Batch M712573 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1935 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books G thru I Index 1787-1935. Batch M712574 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1846-1937 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books I thru L Index 1846-1937. Batch M712575 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1805 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books L and M Index 1787-1805. Batch M712576 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1805 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books M thru R Index 1787-1805. Batch M712577 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1805 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books R thru T Index 1787-1805. Batch M712578 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856-1935 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books T thru W Index 1856-1935. Batch M712579 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1791-1934 - Columbia County Marriage Bonds Books W thru Z Index 1791-1934. Batch M712581 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1806-1852 - Columbia County Marriage Registers A and B Index 1806-1852. Batch M712582 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1873 - Columbia County Marriage Register C Index 1852-1873. Batch M712583 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1888 - Columbia County Marriage Register D Index 1871-1888. Batch M712584 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1887-1895 - Columbia County Marriage Registers E and F Index 1887-1895. Batch M712585 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866-1905 - Columbia County Marriage Registers A and B Index 1874-1905. Batch M712561 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-50, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Columbia County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Columbia County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Columbia County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Georgia. Page 153 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 24. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:22.
- This page has been accessed 13,717 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki