Community Meeting Agenda 3 November 2009Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Be bold! Post your agenda items!
Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to cover during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post some details on the discussion page and link to the discussion from the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper and note taker
- Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Review of Minutes
- Today's agenda preview
Voting complete on renaming Reviewer role
Currently on the wiki, there are two links named "Upload file" which do two different things, and it's confusing. What would the community think about changing one of them to better reflect its real function?
Regular users see on the navigation bar under the Toolbox a link named "Upload file" which takes them to a form they use to e-mail their image to LDS Headquarters. The image is reviewed by Reviewers for appropriateness before being uploaded to the wiki. Regular users can't really upload -- they can only submit (through e-mail) a file to be reviewed and later uploaded by someone else.
Unlike regular users, Reviewers and Moderators can truly upload files to the wiki. They do this by clicking the "Upload file" link on Special Pages. This opens a form that lets them truly upload the file to the wiki.
Proposal: Change the link on the navigation bar from "Upload file" to something like "Submit file," "Submit image," or "Submit image or file." Ritcheymt 15:53, 2 November 2009 (UTC)
Categorizing in a category & a sub-category
As I do categorizing there are times when I see that a page has been assigned to both a category and a sub-category within. For an example see: Category:Yorkshire where parishes are both in Yorkshire and in the parish category for Yorkshire.
- Yorkshire is cleaned up now. The suggested categorization proposal is linked to below. Laralee 20:16, 10 November 2009 (UTC)
There are guidelines on wikipedia for situations such as this, but I'd like community discussion for FSW. My personal feeling is when a page fits in a sub-cat, that it not also be in the parent category, with rare exceptions. Laralee 16:55, 3 November 2009 (UTC)
- I see Yorkshire's category is confusing, mixing subjects with towns in one category. How do we figure out to separate them? dsammy 17:27, 3 November 2009 (UTC)
- I added a proposal to the categorization talk page with my recommendations. Laralee 22:24, 3 November 2009 (UTC)
- This page was last modified on 25 April 2010, at 19:13.
- This page has been accessed 552 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More