Conejos Indian Agency (Colorado)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Tabaquache or Uncompahgre Ute
The Conejos Agency was established in 1860 for the Tabaquache Ute Indians living north of the Utah Agency area in New Mexico. In 1869, the agency moved from Conejos to a site on Los Pinos Creek on the Ute Reservation in southern Colorado, and the name was changed to the Los Pinos Agency.
The agency was under the jurisdiction of the Colorado Superintendency 1861-1880
Agent and Appointment Date
Lafayette Head June 27, 1860, Lt. Calvin T. Speer June 26, 1869,Capt. William H. Herrill July 23, 1869, Jebez Nelson Trask February 8, 1871, Charles Adams May 28, 1872, Henry F. Bond May 20, 1874, Willard D. Wheeler September 4, 1876, Joseph B. Abbott December 3, 1877, Leverett M. Kelley September 26, 1878, Wilson M. Stanley April 28, 1879, George Sherman (acting) January 1, 1880, and William H. Berry April 22, 1880. 
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, pp. 48, 112.
- ↑ The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 3 January 2013, at 20:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,027 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page