Confederate Navy in the Civil WarEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
During the Civil War, several important naval actions made major impacts on the course of the war.
Below are links to the names of ships with information about dates of service in the Civil War and type of ship with a link to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies where the information came from.
- U.S. Navy Department. Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion. 30 Volumes. (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1894–1922). National Archives Microfilm Publication M275. Digital copy at Archive.org and books at various libraries (WorldCat) and FHL book 973 M2unr; films 1490058–88.Similar to the official records of the armies, it is known as the ORN (Official Records . . . Navy). Its two series contain reports and correspondence on the Northern blockade of Southern ports and on matters concerning the Confederate Navy. Volume 1, series II has an index to Union and Confederate ships, statistical data, and muster rolls of confederate vessels.
The following is an index to this set:
- Knox, Dudley W. Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion . . . General Index. . . . 1927. Reprint, New York, New York: Antiquarian Press, 1961. (FHL book 973 M2unr index; film 0924604 item 2.) Alphabetically arranged with reference to series and volume number. The page number is located by searching the index in the specific volume referred to in the general index.
A reference aid to the Official Records is:
- Aimone, Alan C., and Barbara A. Aimone. User’s Guide to the Official Records of the American Civil War . Shippinsburg, Pennsylvania: White Maine Publishing, 1993. (FHL book 973 M29ua.) Provides a history of the compilation of the official records.
- Sections of the Official Records that may be of interest:
- - US Vessels of War Serving in the West Gulf Blockading Squadron, January 1 to December 31, 1864
- - US Vessels of War Searching for Confederate Cruisers and Blockade Runners, January 1, 1863 to March 31, 1864. series I, vol. 2.
- - US Vessels of War Serving in the Potomac Flotilla and Atlantic Blockading Squadron, series I, vol. 5.
- Scharf, John Thomas. History of the Confederate States Navy from its Organization to the Surrender of its Last Vessel: Its Stupendous Struggle with the Great Navy of the United States; the Engagements Fought in the Rivers and Harbors of the South, and Upon the High Seas; Blockade-running, First Use of Iron-clads and Torpedoes, and Privateer History. [S.l.] : Fairfax Press, c1987. Reprint of original published: Albany, N.Y.: Joseph McDonough, 1894. 824 pages. The Appendix has the names of commissioned and warrant officers. Digital version: Internet Archive. FHL book 973 M3s; FHL fiche 6082258.
- American Civil War, Naval War has several articles describing naval activities with several pictures of both the Union and Confederate navies.
- Civil War Photos - Navy Units and Ships has photos of Civil War ships, sailors, battles, etc.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Florida in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Navy Department. Naval History Division, compiler. Civil War Naval Chronology]. 6 parts. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1961–65. FHL film 1550320. A chronological listing of the naval war and important events.
- Silverstone, Paul H. Warships of the Civil War Navies. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press, 1989. FHL book 973 M2sil. Gives brief service histories of naval vessels and includes many photographs of naval ships.
Civil War Navy Sesquicentennial is the official blog for the sharing of information about the events of the Civil War Navy Sesquicentennial.
- This page was last modified on 23 August 2012, at 18:30.
- This page has been accessed 2,040 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More