Congleton St Stephen, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Congleton St Stephen, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
CONGLETON, is an incorporated market-town, a chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Astbury, having a separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter. At Congleton Moss, a church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity it was erected in 1845. Two districts or ecclesiastical parishes have been formed under Sir Robert Peel's act: in the one, St. Stephen's district, a chapel has been purchased from the dissenters, in the other, St. James', a church. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, Wesleyans, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics. 
Congleton St Stephen was formed as separate parish (a chapelry) in 1845 from Congleton St Peter and formed at similar period to St James.
St. Stephen's church consists of nave, chancel, aisles, bell-turret, and vestry, in the early decorated style, and was built in 1860.
Other closely associated chapelries to St Stephen's and also lying within Astbury ancient parish included the chapelries of Congleton St Peter and St James, Mossley Holy Trinity, Buglawton, Rode, Smallwood, and Somerford; together with several places of worship for dissenters, in the parish.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241249.
Congleton St Stephen chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Congleton St Stephen Chapelry (1844) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1844-1909
|FS BT'S|| NONE
Title Parish registers of St. Stephen's Church, Congleton, 1844-1958
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Record Search
St. Stephen's Church is one of three chapelries in Congleton township. The township is in Astbury Ancient parish.
Cheshire Record Office call number: P 232/1/2.
|Baptisms, 1844-1860, 1896-1936 (filmed twice). Marriages, 1860-1926.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
|Baptisms, 1860-1896.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2326898 Item 2
|Baptisms, 1860-1896 (another filming).|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2356823 Item 3
|Marriages, 1926-1958. Burials, 1860-1932.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2197434 Items 1 - 4
Refer to Congleton St Peter page.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Congleton (1837–1937)
- Macclesfield (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Date Accessed: 18 Jan 2013
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 100-104. Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2013.
BibliographyTitle History of Congleton: published to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the granting of the charter to the town
Congleton History Society
Authors W. B. Stephens, Congleton History Society
Editor W. B. Stephens
Publisher Manchester University Press ND, 1970
ISBN 0719012457, 9780719012457
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2014, at 19:48.
- This page has been accessed 2,916 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki