Democratic Republic of the CongoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Democratic Republic of the Congo ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Formerly the Belgian colony of the Belgian Congo, the country's post-independence name was the Republic of the Congo until August 1, 1964, when its name was changed to Democratic Republic of the Congo (to distinguish it from the neighboring Republic of the Congo). On October 27, 1971, then-President Mobutu renamed the country Zaire, from a Portuguese mispronunciation of the Kikongo word nzere or nzadi, which translates to "the river that swallows all rivers." Following the First Congo War which led to the overthrow of Mobutu in 1997, the country was renamed Democratic Republic of the Congo. See https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cg.html
Getting Started with Democratic Republic of the Congo Research
(Your text or images here)
- AfricaGenWeb for the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- African and Middle Eastern Reading Room
- Congo Genealogy
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Congo Democratic Republic
- (helpful tools and resources, gazetteers)
- (language dictionary, handwriting guide or tutorial, etc.)
- AFR-CONGO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Did You Know?
- Congo means hunter.
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
|This Democratic Republic of the Congo-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 20:04.
- This page has been accessed 5,860 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page