Connecticut Divorce Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Connecticut Divorce Index, 1968-1997 .
The collection consists of indexes to divorces from the Connecticut Department of Public Health in Hartford. The index is provided by Ancestry.com. The collection includes records from 1968 to 1997.
Information found in this collection may include:
- Name of husband
- Name of wife
- Docket number
- Divorce date
- Divorce place
- Reference number (page, volume, entry number)
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The name of the person at the time of the divorce
- The place where the divorce occurred
- The approximate divorce date
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record use the page, volume or entry number listed to locate your ancestor's divorce record. The certificates are available at the Connecticut Department of Public Health in Hartford.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals with the same family number.
- Look for a different index. Divorce records are a court record. Court records are often indexed at the beginning or end of record volumes. You might also want to check with a local genealogical or historical society as they often have indexes to local records.
|FHL Place United States, Connecticut items or FHL Keyword Connecticut items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Connecticut Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for this Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Connecticut Divorce Index, 1968-1997." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "Connecticut Divorce Index." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2010.
- This page was last modified on 20 August 2014, at 21:18.
- This page has been accessed 4,177 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki