Coos Bay Oregon Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Coos Bay Family History Center is located close to the North Bend Regional Airport with a lovely view of the ocean. The building is on the south side of Virginia Avenue less than a mile west of the Pony Village Mall. Open three days a week, including 3 evenings. All librarians are capable of helping patrons with basic research and FamilySearch as well as Family Tree questions and helping patrons with intermediate and advanced research.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location and Map:
- 3355 Virginia Avenue, North Bend, OR 97459 United States
- Single door on South side of building, go down steps to door.
- Handicap access on East end of building (please call ahead to arrange for East doors to be opened).
- (Call to confirm evening hours)
- Call in case of severe inclement weather
Closed Thanksgiving Week: Closed last half of December, until after 1 January: Closed other major holidays when they are on a scheduled work day:
Calendar and Events
Upcoming Events: 30th Annual Family History Seminar, 1 Nov 2014.
There will be 16 to 20 workshops available from Beginning to Advanced
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Extensive collection of material, both book and microfilms, for Coos County. Many books on other Oregon counties, especially Douglas, Curry and Lane.
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- We have 10 computers, Film/Fiche readers, printers, copiers (including film copier).
Staff Research Specialties
Librarian specialists include:
- Swedish and Norwegian research
- Hungarian research
- German Research
- New England research
- Ontario and Western Canadian provinces research
- Quaker Ancestors research
- Coos County research
- Native American research
- Immigrant Ancestors research.
Resources in the Local Area
- The Coos County Courthouse allows patron access to land records, marriage/divorce records, and early court records. The Coos County Courthouse is located at 250 N Baxter St, Coquille, OR 97423; 541-396-3121.
- The Coos County Historical Society Museum has an extensive collection of photographs, diaries and other county specific records. The Coos County Historical Society Museum is located at 1220 Sherman Ave, North Bend, OR 97420; 541-756-6320.
- The Marshfield Sun Museum makes all their early newspapers available and is also very helpful in showing the process of creating newspapers from that era.
The Coos Bay Family History 2014 Seminar website is: coosbayhistoryseminar.org
Volunteer at the Center
We love to have anyone interested in creating indexes from mortuary books and/or logging in new books. Call the center and ask for Shirley Redmond.
- This page was last modified on 23 July 2014, at 14:32.
- This page has been accessed 1,895 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki