Coos Bay Oregon Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Coos Bay Family History Center is located close to the North Bend Regional Airport with a lovely view of the ocean. The building is on the south side of Virginia Avenue less than a mile west of the Pony Village Mall. Open three days a week, including 3 evenings. All librarians are capable of helping patrons with basic research and New.FamilySearch as well as Family Tree questions, and helping patrons with intermediate & advanced research.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Physical Address: 3355 Virginia Avenue, North Bend, OR 97459
- Access: Single door on south side of building, go down steps to door. Handicap access on east end of building (please call ahead to arrange for east doors to be opened).
- Location on Map
- Phone: 541-756-3575 (Call during Family History Center hours)
- Mailing Address: Coos Bay Family History Center
PO Box 314
Coos Bay, Oregon 97420
- E-mail for 2013 Coos Bay Family History Seminar: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday - 10am to 9pm
- Wednesday - 10am to 2pm and 6pm to 9pm (call to confirm evening hours)
- Thursday - 10am to 2pm and 6pm-9pm (call to confirm evening hours)
- Call in case of severe inclement weather
- Closed Wednesday & Friday of Thanksgiving Week
- Closed last half of December, until after 1 January
- Closed other major holidays when they are on a scheduled work day
Calendar and Events
Upcoming Events: 22th Annual Family History Seminar, 2 Nov 2013. There will be 16 to 20 workshops available from Beginning to Advanced
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- Extensive collection of material, both book and microfilms, for Coos County. Many books on other Oregon counties, expecially Douglas, Curry and Lane.
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- We have 6 computers, Film/Fiche readers, printers, copiers (including film copier).
Staff Research Specialties
Librarian specialists include:
- Swedish & Norwegian research
- Hungarian research
- German Research
- New England research
- Ontario & Western Canadian provinces research
- Quaker Ancestors research
- Coos County research
- Native American research
- Immigrant Ancestors research.
Resources in the Local Area
- The Coos County Courthouse allows patron access to land records, marriage & divorce records, and early court records. The Coos County Courthouse is located at 250 N Baxter St, Coquille, OR 97423; 541-396-3121.
- The Coos County Historical Society Museum has an extensive collection of photographs, diaries and other county specific records. The Coos County Historical Society Museum is located at 1220 Sherman Ave, North Bend, OR 97420; 541-756-6320.
- The Marshfield Sun Museum makes all their early newspapers available and is also very helpful in showing the process of creating newspapers from that era.
The Coos Bay Family History 2013 Seminar website is: coosbayhistoryseminar.org
Volunteer at the Center
We love to have anyone interested in creating indexes from mortuary books and/or logging in new books. Call the center and ask for Kim Davis or Shirley Redmond.
- This page was last modified on 11 July 2013, at 01:40.
- This page has been accessed 1,092 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More