Costessey, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Costessey, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Forehoe PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
COSSEY, or Costessey, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Forehoe district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wensum. 
Costessey St Edmund is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich.
A mediaeval church with 19th century renovation. The tower was not completed and has a brick built bell stage. A wooden tower was replaced in 1930 with a lead clad spirelet. A more comprehensive history of this location is available here. Note that it seems to work better in a Firefox browser.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Forehoe 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Costessey, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Costessey, Norfolk Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 280 /1-9
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438856.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Costessey on GenUKI
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- ↑ Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:25.
- This page has been accessed 3,118 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More