County DownEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
General County Research Information
Further information about County Down is available at the GenUKI site.
Archives and Libraries
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) 66 Balmoral Avenue Belfast BT9 6NY E-mail: email@example.com
The above is the official repository for the public records of Northern Ireland. PRONI also collects records from private sources.
General Register Office Oxford House 49/55 Chichester St. Belfast BTI 4HL Internet: http://www.groni.gov.uk E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Register of births and deaths in Northern Ireland since 1864. Marriage records from 1922 on.
Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland Colby House Stranmillis Court Malone Lower Belfast BT9 5BJ Internet:http://www.dfpni.gov.uk/lps/index/gi.htm E-mail: email@example.com
Civil Jurisdictions and Parish Research Information
- List of County Down Parishes
The Value of Tombstone Inscriptions by Dr. R.S.J. Clarke, 1808 to 1916.
Memorial Inscriptions of people from Co. Downe from various Parishes who died overseas. Found in The Irish Ancestor 941.5 B2i Vo1 No. 1 year 1969 Family History Catalogue
- Genealogy of Alexander NEILSON 1714 to 1776, for Co. Down, Drumadoney, Dromore. Article called 'Entries from Rev. Alexander Neilson's Family Bible' by Robert Garrett - found in The Irish Ancestor Vol. 1 no. 2, 1969 page 76-77. Ref. 941.5 B2i at Family History Library Salt Lake City or www.worldcat.org/title/the-irish-ancestor
- Davidson, Jennifer. Entries From the Family Bible of John Davidson of Co. Down. Births Marriages and Deaths from flyleaf of a Bible of John Davidson, Co. Down. covering years 1798-1909. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol.VIII.no.2.1976, page 88, Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i v7-8
- Goodbody, Michael. A Quaker Wedding at Lisburn, Co. Down in 1867. Description and two photographs of Quaker wedding, with names. photo 1. surnames. S, & W. Bancroft, AH. G.G. L.R. L & R. Pim, AM. H. S. Barcroft, A. C. FC. GF. H. ML. SH. Richardson, christian names are given, but too many to list, so have just put initials. Photo 2. E. SL. Anderson, M. WJ. Barcroft, R. Clibborn, C. Nicholson, A. J. WR Pim, EJ. G. JM. JN. JP. SB. Richardson, also includes a list of witnesses, covers years 1428-1938. The Irish Ancestor, vol. XIII, no.2. 1981, pages 90-93. FHL Ref. 941.5 B2i vol. 13.
Community Trees Project
To learn more about a Community Tree Project that has been completed for the Newry area in County Down click here.
To search the Ireland: County Down: Newry area Community Tree click here.
- 1885 County Map: Courtesy of London Ancestor
- Collected by Ffolliott, Rosemary. Some Game Licences of 1802. A list of name, places of abode who took out Certificates of Game Licences issued in 1802, covering Counties Armagh, Clare, Down, Kilkenny, Louth and Tipperary. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol.VIII. no.1. 1976, pages 35-47. Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i v7-8
- De Breffny, Brian. Businessmen Who Issued Tokens in Ireland 1653-1679. Due to an acute shortage of small change after the death of Charles 1, tradesmen, innkeepers and some local authorities began minting their own substitutes in the form of private tokens. This list of 800 names, gives occupation and place. Article in the Irish Ancestor, vol.X. no.1. 1978, pages 51-60. Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i vol.10-11
- Contributed by Ffolliott, Rosemary. Some Lists of Mid-18th Century Linen Drapers in Sout-East Ulster. Lists of Linen Drapers from the Belfast Newsletter covering years 1750-1764. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol.XI. no.1.1979, pages 9-14, Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i vol10-11.
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources or support its efforts.
Ulster Historical Foundation 12 College Square East Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT1 6DD Tel: (01232) 33 22 88 Fax: (01232) 23 98 85 Internet: http://www.ancestryireland.com/ E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Down County Museum The Mall Downpatrick County Down BT30 6AH
Dromore Dioceasan Archives BishopÕs House Newry County Down By appointment
Collections include records of baptisms, marriages and deaths for each parish 1926- as well as other diocesan parish papers
South Eastern Education & Library Board Library Headquarters Windmill Hill, Ballynahinch County Down, Northern Ireland Internet: http://www.seelb.org.uk// E-mail: email@example.com
- County Down, Northern Ireland GenWeb Project: Additional links and resources
Links to articles, subcategories and images under the Category County Down
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki see Help wanted on the County Down pages
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2013, at 01:03.
- This page has been accessed 8,939 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More