Court of the Archdeaconry of NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step by Step
1. First search each index (see "Indexes" below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry
2. Proceed to "Records" section (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Norfolk County Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search the indexes. Then, with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons on microfilm.
The Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk probate records have to some extent been indexed in the following:
A general will index (partial) for this probate court covering much of the county is available at Norfolk Sources for the years 1800-1857. More years are bring added so re-visit their website regularly.
Also, Ancestry.co.uk has indexed some probate abstracts as well.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Norfolk Record Office has indexed a considerable number of the wills from this court and these are available in the following publications:
- Index of wills proved in the Norfolk Archdeaconry Court, 1453-1603/4 (in three volumes) 
- Index to Norfolk Wills 1838-1858 is also available.
Indexes of Wills and Admons (Administrations) are available on microfilm at the Family History Library covering the years 1460-1857 and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers.
Norfolk Record Office
The Archive Centre
Norwich, NR1 2DQ
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
- Original wills, 1539, 1550-1579, 1585-1652, 1660-1857 (with some minor gaps)
- Register copy wills, 1453, 1459-1614, 1625-1636, 1660-1699, 1705-1858 (with some minor gaps)
- Administrations, 1672-1857
- Admon Act Books, 1541-1618, 1820-1857
- Inventories, 1728-1774
In addition to the calendars, a majority of the original (unregistered) wills and the registered wills are alphabetically arranged at Norfolk Record Office and on microfilm at the Family History Library. Visit The Norfolk Record Office or the Family History Library Catalog under Norfolk, England to determine availability of records.
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records
Many of the records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library and through family history centers. These include:
- Wills and administrations, 1459-1857
- Probate records, 1670-1774 (admon act books, 1670-1675; inventories,1728-1774)
This court had jurisdiction over 398 parishes in the the following Norfolk deaneries:
It also had jurisdiction over the parishes of Outwell, Upwell, and Welney in the county of Cambridge.
- This page was last modified on 28 December 2011, at 21:15.
- This page has been accessed 2,203 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More