Court of the Archdeaconry of SudburyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step by Step
1. First search each index (see "Indexes" below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" section (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Suffolk Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search the indexes; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons on microfilm.
- Bury St. Edmunds' Calendar of Wills 1520-1650 is available online at Archives.org in two parts 1520-1599 and 1600-1650. Once the reference number has been obtained, the wills can then be ordered from the Bury St. Edmunds Record Office.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Family History Library has copies of the following indexes.
- Index to noted wills & administrations
- Indexes, 1520-1857
- An index to wills, administrations and other testamentary records registered in monastic or commissary courts of Bury S. Edmunds or the Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury, Suffolk compiled by T.K. Crossfield
- Calendar of wills, 1354-1535, complied by Vincent Burrough Redstone.
The original records for this court are housed at the Suffolk Record Office - Bury St. Edmunds.
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
- Original wills, 1424-1652, 1660-1857
- Register copy wills, 1439-1652/3, 1660-1857
- Administrations, 1660-1857 (with minor gaps)
- Admon act books, 1544-1546, 1568-1573, 1577-1593, 1605-1612, 1630-1652/3, 1660-1858
- Inventories, 1573-1576, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650, 1652, 1660-1747
Family History Library Records
Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Original wills, 1429-1857; misc. papers including probate inventories, ca. 1734-1858; act books, 1577-1596, 1842-1858
- Probate records, 1354-1857; indexes, 1520-1857; probate inventories, 1573-1817
- Wills and inventories from the registers of the commissary of Bury St. Edmunds and the archdeacon of Sudbury
- The wills of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury
The Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury had jurisdiction over West Suffolk with the addition of Stow and Hartismere Deaneries in East Suffolk (to 1837 only).
A list of parishes in the Archdeaconry of Sudbury in 1837 is given in S. Tymms' Wills and Inventories from the Registers of the Commissary of Bury St. Edmunds and the Archdeaconry of Sudburypublished in the Old Series by the Camden Society. 
It had jurisdiction over those parishes under the authority of the Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Norwich, namely:
Also, after 1837 only (when the Archdeaconry of Sudbury was transferred to the Diocese of Ely), the Cambridgeshire parishes in the Deanery of Camps, namely:
- ↑ Camp, Anthony J. Wills and Their Whereabouts. London: published by author, 1974; page 129.
- This page was last modified on 7 May 2013, at 15:59.
- This page has been accessed 3,418 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki