Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of WellsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit the Somersetshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
Also try the following indexes at the Family History Library:
The records of the Consistory Court of the Archdeaconry of Taunton, which were deposited at the Probate Registry at Exeter, were destroyed by enemy action during World War II. The following is information on the few records that survive. They survive because they were not deposited at the Exeter Registry.
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
- Register Copy Wills 1543-1546; 1554-1556
- Inventories 1610-1754 (few before 1634)
- Administration Acts & Tuition Bonds 1623-1649; 1671; 1686-1703
- Act Books 1817-1850
Family History Library Records
See the above Indexes or those available through the Family History Library or its many family history centers worldwide for an index to this court.
The Archdeaconry was part of the Diocese of Bath and Wells. The Archdeaconry court had jurisdiction over most of the eastern half of the county of Somerset, roughly from the River Parrot eastward. The exceptions are some parishes under peculiar court jurisdictions and the area under the jurisdiction of the Archdeaconry of Bath in the north of the county.
- This page was last modified on 16 April 2014, at 22:59.
- This page has been accessed 2,090 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page