Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of YorkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following court had jurisdiction over places in the counties of Yorshire and Lancashire. A general explanation of probate records in England, is given in the article England Probate Records.
Step by Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed then to "Records" section (see below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research (see address below), or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf, citing information obtained from the index[es]. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can also visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be viewed on microfilm in a family history center..
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of York probate records have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
Indexes to Yorkshire wills are beginning to come online. Yorkshire will indexes online are only available at britishorigins for the following years:
Medieval Probate Index - 1267- 1500
Peculiar Courts Probate Index - 1383-1883
Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York - 1842-1858
Printed and Published Indexes
Index of Original Wills for the Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of York, A.D. 1427-1858 containing original wills, administrations from 1316-1822, in the Yorkshire Archaeological Society Record Series volume 93.
Original Handwritten Indexes
- Manuscript indexes exist from 1438-1728 and, 1650-1858.
- Index of Original Wills and Administrations 1660-1724; 1731-1745; 1808-1858
- Index to Original wills, bonds, inventories 1316-1857
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
Indexes to Original wills, bonds, and inventories is on microfilm from 1316-1857
Catalogue of Yorkshire wills at Somerset House 1649-1660
Index of wills and administrations from 1660-1724; 1731-1745; 1808-1858
Borthwick Institute for Archives
University of York
York YO10 5DD
Tel. (0)1904 321166
Opening Times: Mon-Fri 9:15am - 4:45pm
Family History Library Records
- Original Wills 1427-1858 (another filming)
- Original Wills 1659-1916 (Index to 1949)
A list of the records, including the film numbers, are in the library's catalog.
This court's jurisdiction applies to persons with bona notabilia (property and effects) in more than one diocese within the northern Province of York, which includes all of the dioceses of York, Carlisle, Chester, Sodor and Man (Isle of Man), Durham and Lancaster.
The Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of York diealt with appeals from the lower courts from York, and the dioceses of Lancaster, Chester, Durham and Sodor and Man (Isle of Man). When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York as well.
- This page was last modified on 7 May 2013, at 16:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,886 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More