Court of the Peculiar of AcombEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Read about the types of probate records, and general information about them, by clicking here. This article explains about the records for the Court of the Peculiar of Acomb, and how to start your search.
Step By Step
1. Search indexes to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail given in the index.
2. Go to the "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Obtain the records to search. Use one of these methods to find indexes and records.
- Contact or visit the Archive (see below) or hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf.
- Order microfilm copies of the indexes and records listed in the Family History Library Records (see section below) by visiting the Family History Library or one of its family history centers and search indexes and records.
Indexes for 54 peculiar courts, 1383-1883, are available online on British Origins. This is a subscription site.
Printed and Published Indexes
Records are housed in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Records in York.
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records
- Calendar of wills and administrations, 1601-1858
- Wills and administrations of York Peculiar, Prebendial and Manorial Courts, 1559-1858 includes Acomb for 1601-1858 on film 98916.
Any probate that was disputed and could not be settled by the county courts could be sent to these higher appeals courts:
Estate Duty Records
Starting in 1796, a tax or death duty was payable on estates over a certain value. Estate duty abstracts may add considerable information not found elsewhere. Estate duty indexes may help locate a will. For more information, go to Estate Duty Records.
This court had jurisdiction over the parish of Acomb. It was part of the dissolved Treasurership of York.
- This page was last modified on 17 November 2011, at 15:10.
- This page has been accessed 989 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki