Court of the Peculiar of Hursley with Otterbourne, Merdon and SilksteadEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Hampshire Probate Records page.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Hampshire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Peculiar of Hursley with Otterbourne, Merdon and Silkstead have been mostly indexed as follows:
Here is an online index from 1500's-1857. This is a mostly complete listing of wills for this time period, and can be very helpful to those searching Hampshire probate records.
Printed and Published Indexes
Original handwritten indexes:
There is an index (manuscript) from 1566 to 1705 (only 11 wills survive) for Hursley with Otterbourne, Merdon and Silkstead held at the Hampshire Record Office.
Microfilmed indexes at the Family History Library:
The indexes as listed in the above are also available in the collection of The Family History Library and they are on microfilm and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers worldwide.
The Family History Library has a microfilmed index (index Cards) to the probate records which pertains to each of Hampshire's peculiar probate courts--including Hursley with Otterbourne, Merdon and Silkstead for the years 1566 to 1705.
The Hampshire Record Office also has a type manuscript index covering the early Hursley with Otterbourne, Merdon and Silkstead wills; see the next section below.
Hampshire Record Office
Archives and Local Studies
Hampshire SO23 8TH
tel 01962 846154, fax 01962 878681
Contact the Archives and Local Studies
Monday to Friday, 9am-7pm
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Original Wills 1566-1705
Family History Library Records
The Court of the Peculiar of Hursley with Otterbourne, Merdon and Silkstead held jurisdiction over the parishes of Hursley and Otterbourne, and the places of Merdon and Silkstead. These records are held at the Hampshire Record Office (see above). When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search both the Consistory (administrations and wills) Archdeaconry (wills only) Courts of Winchester as well as the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- This page was last modified on 9 December 2011, at 17:31.
- This page has been accessed 727 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki