Court of the Peculiar of Old Alresford with New Alresford and MedsteadEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Hampshire Probate Records page.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Hampshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Peculiar of Alrewas and Weeford have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
Here is an online index from 1500's-1857. This is mostly complete listing of all wills for this time period, and can be very helpful to those searching Hampshire probate records during this time period.
Printed and Published Indexes
Original Handwritten Indexes:
There is an index (manuscript) from 1500's to 1857 covering most if not all wills in Hampshire and only wills in the smaller or peculiar courts.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library:
The indexes as listed in the above are also available in the collection of The Family History Library and they are on microfilm and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers worldwide.
In addition, the Family History Library has a more comprehensive microfilmed index of the Hampshire probate records which indexes the surnames (by first letter of surname only) available for the years from 1540 to 1857.
The Hampshire Record Office has a type manuscript index for the years 1506-1645 next section below).
Hampshire Record Office
Archives and Local Studies
Hampshire SO23 8TH
tel 01962 846154, fax 01962 878681
Contact the Archives and Local Studies
Monday to Friday, 9am-7pm
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Original Wills 1681-1772
Family History Library Records
Card index to the Peculiar court wills 1561-1845 (includes this courts' records)
Register copy wills (or enrolment books) 1728- 1775 (includes index)
The Court of the Peculiar of Old Alresford with New Alresford and Medstead held jurisdiction over the parishes of Old and New Alresford and Medstead. When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Consistory and Archdeaconry Courts of Winchester as well as the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
You can also visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history.
Strategies, Tips, Other?
See the above Indexes or those available through the Family History Library or its many family history centers worldwide for an index to this court.
To view a list of parishes and their respective probate court jurisdiction, see the "Hampshire Parishes and Their Probate Jurisdictions" on the main page for Hampshire Probate Records.
- This page was last modified on 12 August 2012, at 23:38.
- This page has been accessed 1,019 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki